Split sleeper

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Bean Jr., May 11, 2021.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I use it often, but one thing I'm not sure about. If I take a 4 hour break, only 3 counts towards the 10, but does the whole 4 not count against the 14, or only 3 doesn't count against the 14 and the last hour does?

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It pauses the clock for as long as the break is for. That's what the "at least" portion means in the regs. As long as you take a qualifying sleeper berth time (7 hours in this case) you will be fine. You cannot take a 4 hour off duty time, and combine it with 6 hour sleeper to qualify, but 4 hours + 7 sleeper is fine.

5. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I knew you would know

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You related to Alton Bean out of Ar. ?

7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    If you go to off duty status and specify that you intend to use sleeper berth split, initially your 14 hour clock will continue to count down. However, as soon as you have completed at least 2 hours of off duty time, your 14 will reset to where it was when you began the off duty time. It will stay there until you go to an on duty or driving status. Doesn't matter if the off duty time is 2 hours and 1 minute or 9 hours. 14 will stay where it was when you started the off duty time. However, if you complete a full 10 hours off duty, your 14 will go back to 14 since you completed a break.
    Don't forget you will need to take an 8 hour sleeper berth stint if you had between 2 and 3 hours of off duty time or a 7 hour sleeper berth stint if you had more than 3 hours off duty. Sleeper berth stint can be longer than required, but not shorter. And, importantly, even if you take a full 10 instead of only a 7 or 8 hour sleeper berth, the sleeper berth still has to be there, even if you did a full 10 hour break. Otherwise, it's a technical H.O.S. violation. I say technical because to me, if you've taken a full 10, seems the 7 or 8 hour sleeper berth is inconsequential. DOT doesn't agree with me on that point.

8. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    DOT is right. 10 hours will reset your day, 34 will reset cycle.

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I don't think you got my point. OK. I take 3 hours of off duty as the 1st half of a split. I need a 7 hour sleeper berth split to complete it. But, when I finish, instead of JUST taking a 7 hour sleeper berth stint, I take a full 10 hour break to reset my daily clocks. On that 10 hour break, if I don't show at least 7 hours (continuous) as sleeper berth, it is a DOT violation. Seems to me if you take a full 10 hour break the need to show a sleeper berth stint is a mute point, you just performed a 10 hour break. Why does it matter? My thinking anyway.
    BTW, about the only time I actually use sleeper berth is when I am doing a split. My normal 10 hour breaks are simply off duty.

Bean Jr., Snailexpress and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    I got your point. I would repeat again, 10 hours break off duty or sleeper will reset your shift 14 hours clock.
    Example: You start shift after 10 hours break.
    Was driving 2 hours, took 3 hours off duty, driving back 2 hours.
    Now you have two options :take 7 hours SB and be able to work the rest of 14 hours
    or take 10 hours SB or OFF DUTY and work 14 hours shift

11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    Yes 10 hour break will reset your 14 hour clock. However, DOT can give you an HOS violation if you didn't show at least 7 hours in a continuous sleeper berth status. Your statement above "or take 10 hours SB or OFF DUTY and 14 hours shift" is wrong. Gotta have the SB even though it is part of the 10 hour break that resets your 14. It seems stupid and inconsequential. But DOT don't think so. I was flagged for a DOT violation because of it, that's why I know about that technicality.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.