Split system ac install

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Aces-N-Eights, May 19, 2018.

1. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    For a 72" midroof on a '02 W900L, will 9000btu be enough to keep cab/sleeper cool in southern heat? Or should I get the 12k btu ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    I was thinking a 12k btu uit may be better because I can opt for 220v on it, run it directly off the generator and still have a 110v outlet avail to power my inverter charger. Your thoughts?

4. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Don't know generator you plan to run but most generators have 120 or 230 volt. You have to flip switch.
    9000 btu is more then enough. I was sitting my 34 in Phoenix yesterday. Over 100 F and was sleeping under blanket after all night driving.
    Some truck stops still provide shore power so you can plug in with extension cord. I'm not sure they have 230v.

Aces-N-Eights and loudtom Thank this.
  5. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    We were stuck in south Florida last year to repair hurricane damage to a rental property. Our Volvo 780 has a 9000 btu split system that worked extremely well. Being able to plug the 110v into the GFCI outlet for an entire month was nice, too.

6. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    I was planning on using a Honda eu3000is so I am looking at the power draw on different split systems. The Honda seems to be the quietest and most reliable (although it IS the most expensive). I am confused about one thing.... If I am using a pure sine wave inverter / charger, when I start up the generator and it recognizes that shore power is present, does the inverter still process the sine wave to pure? Example: 5000 watt modified sine wave generator feeds a pure sine wave inverter. Does the inverter thru-put the modified sine wave or does it "clean up" the power?

7. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I installed a 9000 BTU split in my FLD120. I ran it with my Honda EU2000i, and it did just fine. I upgraded to a Champion 3100 watt inverter generator for the remote electric start. Just as quiet as the Honda, but I need to see about getting a larger capacity fuel tank for it.

The Champion puts out near pure sine wave power, so no need to clean it up.

8. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    I think you would have to convert it to 12v before running it into an inverter. If it detects shore power, it likely bypasses the inverter altogether. My generator and inverter are both pure sine wave, but I don't use the on board shore power system. I have an extension cord that has 2 male ends, one stays plugged into the breaker outlet, the other plugs into the inverter or the generator. I made the mistake one time of plugging the generator into the inverter on accident, and it fried my inverter.

9. Aces-N-Eights

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    What generator are you using that powers your split system and inverter / charger? I know the Honda eu3000is seems to be a reliable pick. However, I did see that Harbor Freight has a 3500w Predator pure sine inverter generator that only costs like $800 vs. the $2k that the Honda would... Just dont know about the longevity factor...

10. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Usually hi end pure sine inverter-charger has programmable transfer switch. You can program what happens when one of each power sources is on.
    In my opinion it's expensive and too risky to catch fire. You now all this electronics made in China.
    I have my generator hooked to AC and power outlets in cab. I have to replug my refrigerator manully once before sleep.

Aces-N-Eights Thanks this.
  11. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    I've got the same Champion model as @windsmith is using. 3100 pure sine wave with the remote start option. They're not kidding about the fuel tank being entirely too small on it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.