Split system ac install

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Aces-N-Eights, May 19, 2018.

1. Aces-N-Eights

Aces-N-Eights Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    I guess I'm thinking too much about how and when I'll use AC power. My idea was to have the inverter / charger installed to keep my electronics (tv, computer, laser printer, etc) available to me during the "normal" business day without having to start generator - but still have generator to run split system and charge batts at night. Am I barking up the right trees here or am I missing something I need to consider?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    That’s about the right idea. Like snail said, I switch the fridge over to the extension cord that runs from the generator before sleeping, the spilt a/c stays hooked up to that extension cord. The Honda 3000 can feed the batteries with recharging but I don’t use it for that yet. There’s a port on it with a particular style plug that then goes to the batteries.

Btw. The Honda 3000 and the 9000btu split do just fine together. Just can’t run it on eco mode, the surge from turning the fan on is to much for it on eco

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    If you're not running during the day, you'll probably want to run your generator anyway to keep it cool inside. Run a cord from one outlet of the generator to the AC unit, then run another cord from the second outlet to a 6 way or something inside the cab. Then you can power your electronics during the day, and plug in a battery tender at night.

I only had trouble with inadequate power one time, where the fridge cycled at the same time as the ac did while I was running the microwave. Now I just power down the AC while I run the microwave, and then turn it back on after a few minutes.

5. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I looked at the Predator, but it doesn't have a remote start option. If not for that one feature, I'd have gone with the Predator. You can wear it out and replace it twice before it would cost you as much as the Honda.

6. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    1A09BA3C-F3AB-4052-B2CA-291C0EF2BBCA.jpeg

You can use just about anything. I robbed a tank off an old generator and ran a fuel hose straight to the carburetor. Make sure the petcock is closed while driving and you’re good to go.

I’ve since upgraded to the 3100 Champion. The 2000 had a hard time starting the compressor on the really hot days.

7. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Mine is in a toolbox that I have to take it out or use a long flexible funnel to refuel. I'm working on setting it on its own frame outside the box, so at that point I could put a larger tank on it.

8. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    @Aces-N-Eights what did you end up doing? I took my split ac down because I kept losing Freon and getting some to charge it was a pain. Nobody would sell me refrigerant. So I cut a big hole in the back and put a 12k household unit back there. Worked good, until I started getting rainwater in the truck.

Now I’m going for a rooftop 15k btu Coleman. My body shop talked me into it. Only a 14” by 14” hole. I looked at the units today, and I feel much better about how they seal. They’ve done plenty up there no issue. Just kind of sharing my trials with this deal

9. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Aren't those things super noisy?

10. HopeOverMope

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    Yea, I don’t know. I see plenty of big sleeper guys with them and of course the rv’s.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  11. windsmith

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I installed one of those rooftop on an International about 5 years ago, and boy was it loud! It would freeze you out though. Maybe the newer ones are quieter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.