Splitter splits rough

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MacGyver., Sep 5, 2011.

1. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I just reread your original post and I totally missed the most important thing that you said and the cause of the problem.
    When you drive a 13 or 18 spd transmission, you don't pre-select the splitter like you do the range valve or this problem you are having will occur. The splitter will not wait for you to let off the throttle to shift, it is instant as soon as you hit the splitter so you have to be off the throttle when you hit it. If I were you, I would put it all back together and try it before you try to fix anything other than your PTO installation.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Splitter is located in front end of transmission.

Can you post transmission # ore get manual on Road Ranger site?

4. HISPEED428

HISPEED428 Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Plum Coulee,MB
    This is incorrect. Range and splitter shifts have been pre-select for years now. Splitter can't make the shift while the driveline is under torque.

5. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I stand corrected. I've never pre-selected the split and so I wasn't aware it could be done.

6. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    I just had a reman RTLO18918b put in my truck about a month ago and it is doing the same thing to me. Just in 5th, going from low to high it will slam in and from high to low so I can shift to 6 low it will sometimes grab 5 low and BANG. This is extremely frustrating . I have worm motor mounts that I thought may cause some slop and allow this to happen and they will be changed today. The splitter assembly on the back of the tranny is leaking oil. I have to have the gasket replaced. Can I tell the shop to replace the pressure regulator when they are in there ?? is that where the pressure regulator is located ?

7. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    Also I've noticed that if when in 5th I flick the thumb splitter back and forth a few times before the shift it is less likely to happen.

8. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    The pressure regulator is external on the trans.
    Now would be the time to have them install a kit in that shift cylinder while they have it off for gasket replacement. It could be dry and hanging up.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  9. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Flicking the button would preload the shift cylinder with air prior to the shift which would indicate a dry cylinder/piston/o-ring and possibly hanging up during the shift until it builds pressure.

10. MacGyver.

MacGyver. Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2010
    minnesota
    Well I called Peterbilt of Fargo today and I talked to the service man there. I told him how it slams and the first thing he asked me was has the truck ever sat. I told him yes the truck sat for over a year straight. He said that if they sit the moisture in the lines and from humidity well cause the valve assembly to rust on the inside. He said he has seen it before.

He said I could try shooting some mineral oil in there and seeing if that works. Instead tomorrow I am just going to order a new regulator/ filter and splitter valve. Between that and fresh tranny fluid (the last stuff was burnt) I am going to see if that will do the trick.

11. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    Thanks Bender, it's going to be looked at in the morning and I'll mention this.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.