1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

And I can show you even more places that Sprint doesnt work at all.

There really is no honest comparison between either for a driver who goes OTR.
    You havent been OTR in years. So when you come travel my way,.. let me know how your precious Sprint works out for you. I already know. I switched to Verizon for a reason. I am not blinded or trying to justify bad choices.

Service is service,.. Verizon offers a larger more complete coverage area than Sprint does. How you can sit there and try to argue or compare this is beyond me.

Hurst

Olympian Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Verizon has never worked inside my house. And within a 3 mile radius of home and 8 mile stretch to work. Just to name 1 spot. It was really aggravating at concerts too which is 1 mile west of me. An outside venue.

It also sucked inside restaurants and bars.

I have an att hotspot now. The first one in america that is capable of gigahertz speeds. With it's 5 gig channel. I now have gsm speeds equivalent to cdma speeds. A bigger footprint then cdma. And it works inside buildings.

Verizon quality has gone downhill. And while my sprint phone is doing better. I can't really say I'm exactly happier.. Course, the phone has been dropped more then all other phones in my life combined. So maybe it's been damaged a little. But between the sprint phone and att hotspot. I've got a really good thing going. Coverage wise.

If you can get your hands on an att $20 unlimited internet monthly plan. You really can't go wrong. I started with the mobley that was talked about on this sight. I've upgraded to the device i have now about 6 weeks ago.

VErizon was good when i was OTR. Sprint came in really handy as a backup when verizon wasn't available. I wished i had the att option to see how it would do around the country. Course, with all the coverage improvements over the last couple of years. And what's coming up really soon. All you traveling people will soon have a few more options with 5g. Charter is getting in to the act. I can't remember the other 2. Att has plans to light up more rural locations. And who knows what Elon Musk's satellite service is going to do. It got launched on the 21st.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Looks like gunner showed more updated maps then what you posted.

I'm guessing those maps are from the 20th century.

5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Your maps suck. They dont show any detail. Any 6 yr old can color in areas that I know for a fact neither has coverage.

20th century? Reaching for anything now are you? Dont act so butt hurt. Verizon has the larger network with more coverage areas. To argue that fact will only show your true ignorance on the subject.

Crying about how it doesnt work at a bar or in your house. Last I checked,.. we dont truck from houses or bars. Get a better phone. Sprints network is notoriously known for having failure to travel through walls and buildings. Not Verizon. You should try a different topic.

Bashing a phone network because you dont like them is unbecoming and unprofessional. Just saying. SMH

Hurst

Olympian Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    @snowwy

And speaking of leading edge technology. Verizon was the first with an all LTE network. And starting next quarter Verizon will have real 5G NR in 5 cities and is also offering 5G home internet.

Unlike Sprint or ATT which are repurposing existing LTE networks to increase speed and renaming them to 5G Evolution,.. which BTW,.. is NOT the same as Qualcomm's real 5G NR technology.

Sorry man,.. but you should not be arguing your opinions against cold hard facts.

This is how the 5G licensing is playing out. And again,.. Verizon has the lions share of available licensing for 5G.
    [​IMG]

Hurst

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    spyder7723 and Olympian Thank this.
  7. Olympian

Olympian Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I've been using Verizon for years now, and I can't remember the last time I stopped somewhere where I couldn't get the Internet.

Not to mention, that I listen to Rush 5 days a week rolling down the road every day on IheartRadio without any interruptions as well. I also listen to LSU football games when I'm rolling down the road and when stopped too on IheartRadio app as well. Haven't ever missed one yet. I have Sirius XM too but I like to listen to a local station in Louisiana during games because I can get the after game show.

I was trying to think where the last time I found a dead spot in the country without coverage and now I remember, it was out on I-10 about 30 miles West of San Antonio where that Pilot is located, but it only lasted about 10 minutes. Nonetheless, it did piss me off I can tell you that much because I was listening to an LSU football game that day that wasn't on Sirius XM. I don't know if that hole is still there or not because I haven't passed there again when I was listening to something from the Internet. Anyway, that was about three years ago.

In fact, I look up every shipper and consignee I go to on Google Earth. Locate the driver entranceway then place a pushpin right in the entranceway. Next, I right click the pushpin and choose properties, and then when the pushpin's property's dialogue box appears, I can see the GPS coordinates for the pushpin. I then key those GPS coordinates into my TND 730. That way the TND 730 always guide me perfectly directly to all my shippers and consignees driver entranceways. I like to be as precise as I can be. Of course, I save them all in my address book by state for when or if I ever go back to them.

Indeed, I've never entered an actual address or was guided by my GPS to an address as opposed to GPS coordinates. So I don't even know how accurate that is. I suppose I should give it a try at least once and see.

Anyway, you need Internet access to look up all your shippers and consignees in Google Earth and with Verizon, I always have Internet access no matter where I'm at in the USA. However, if I would have been at that Pilot on I-10 West of San Antonia I would have to purchase Wifi from Pilot to access the Internet there I suppose.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  8. Olympian

Jun 21, 2013
    You got to be kidding, I've always had Verizon since I have been in trucking. I had the aircard first that I plugged into my laptop, then when the smartphones came out, I had the wifi hotspot, and I'm never without Internet throughout the entire country on Verizon. The last time I found a hole was about three years ago West of San Antonio on I-10 near that first Pilot heading West and it only lasted about 10 minutes. I drive all 48 states and been all over Wyoming, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Texas.

9. Olympian

Jun 21, 2013
    Do you work for them?

10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Nope I"m not kidding. And i can show you quite a few verizon holes in my home state. And city.

PA had service but as soon as you crossed stateline. Nothing. The toll road in OK was the only place with service. There's a town in Mt that had sprint but not verizon. And the 287/220 in wyoming used to be completely dead.

This was with the note2 though. When i got the s6. It had better coverage.

Everybody has been improving their coverage that last few years. And it should be getting even better with 5g coming out.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Personally I would take what he posts with a grain of salt. If you read through his posts regarding Verizon,.. it often comes across like a jilted lover.

You and I both know that Verizon works perfectly well. Yes there are some small dead spots,.. this is mobile cellular. The idea in my opinion is to have a carrier with the least dead spots. That carrier for us is Verizon. No other carrier has a coverage area the size of Verizon.

The main gripes about Verizon are typically its pricing, bills (People who cant afford Verizon) or asinine customer service personal and tech support. If having service inside your home is more important than having continuous service across the country,.. then I suggest finding a different carrier that will provide what that person needs. The rest of us will enjoy our service that Verizon provides.

Hurst

Olympian Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.