Squaw brake handle

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by vics stuff, Oct 25, 2018.

1. vics stuff

vics stuff Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Hey Guys ! Just a question. A friend of mine drives for a large trucking company here in my state. We were on the topic of the squaw handle on the steering column. I told him that on my Freightliner Century highway truck , the squaw handle is spring loaded and when released , the handle springs back to releasing the brakes. He claims that all his years of driving KW trucks he claims that he can pull the squaw down and it locks in place , locking the trailer brakes. This does not sound correct . I would think that would be a good disaster waiting to happen if the handle was accidently pulled down and locked. Can you guys clear up this question.
    Thanks Vic

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes in older trucks the handle would stay where you put it.

4. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Mine stays where you put it, don't use it much like it when I do use it.

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    In the old iron there are some trolleys that will stay where you put it making it somewhat useful for certain specific maneuvers.

Otherwise in modern trucks they are spring loaded to return to off and release the brakes in a few moments.

I consider them very important to have. Any company that fails to have this installed in the tractor I will not drive for.

magoo68 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  6. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    "squaw handle"?

Been driving since the mid 80's and never heard that one. lol.

Trolley, johnny bar, among others yes.

Each area has a name, I guess.

magoo68, BigBob410 and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  7. vics stuff

vics stuff Bobtail Member

Sep 5, 2018
    What is the purpose for these ?
    Vic

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've always called it a spike.

9. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    So you can apply trailer brakes independant of the tractor.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One situation was a stop sign at what I would call a 100 foot 10% grade facing straight up. Having to turn onto a banked (high on your side) 4 lane divided on a downgrade. It's one of those situations where you cannot roll backwards and you cannot start off from dead idle in any gear because shifting will cause a stall and now you are in the way of the oncoming highway traffic at speed from both directions.

Apply trolley lock trailer brakes, shift into a suitable gear in this case 1st add power and remove clutch straight out as the trolley is taken off. You should have your full pulling applied and moving when that thing releases the trailer.

Once moving you must not stop or shift until you drag the entire deadweight off that hill. Once free of it you can go ahead and go up your shifting.

Another situation would be on snow or ice capable of sliding by gravity slope your trailer off the lane you are in. Apply a few pounds of trolley and hold it just so. It stretches the trailer against your 5th wheel making as far as possible a solid unit of your entire rig. The trailer will stay in line with the drives but you are dealing with maybe 3 pounds application which varies a little bit so it's very light touch. Too much you lock trailer then it goes into jackknife or try to.

It's relatively rare but it is good to have it there.

Some of the old iron had three buttons, one for the tractor brakes only. You could use that one to create a anchor on really bad downgrades for short periods of time. But Im happy not to deal with that anymore. It's risky. This would be off road on a farm on a field of boulders on a significant grade where a certain braking here or there on a particular rock long enough to spin the wheel over to begin the next crawl onto the nearest rock over. We were rock crawling on two farms before it became a sport.

11. McMahons Trucking

McMahons Trucking Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Mine stays put as well in my Pete. Never use it to park though. Even says so.o_O

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.