SSB CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I prefer to do it right the first time and if it's really worth buying that radio I'll take it to consideration. But if there's a cheaper alternative that makes more sense in cost and a bit less range, I might just take that route. I really like how the Bearcat 980 can scan.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I have a 297n2 and I actually use it on the 10m ham band. When the band is open, I talk all over the place. I get good reports on the audio. It is stock with NO junk mods. Just checked the factory alignment, peaked the amplifier stages and set the modulation level with a scope. Made sure the bias adjustments were correct.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Just get one you can afford and learn on that, those other radios are nice as a step up but you need a basic radio and that's it.

5. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA

I like everything that Ive seen and heard about the at6666. I dont really drive much anymore so its hard for me to justlfy the purchase of an at6666. One way for me to do it would be to sell my Stryker and/or Northpoint but that would be like selling my kids lol

lilillill Thanks this.
  6. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    The uniden 980 is good but the microphone may not be too good.

Just get a good noise cancelling mic and you’ll be good to go.

Ranger makes real good noise cancelling mic for $25 but need to order online or get at cb shop I-30 exit 7 in arkansas next to flying j

stacks Thanks this.
  7. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    There sensitive radios and don’t like all the shacking from driving on bad roads which if your OTR driver which will be regular ,

8. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    There is a truck stop in Rockford Illinois there is a radio shop inside the terminal building Jerry’s cb shop Rockford the man has good knowledge of all ranger radios and sells the ranger noise cancelling mic

9. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    I'm trying to make a 7foot firestick antenna to work as a home base antenna. It has good ground, I installed it on my chimney with me holding it. I got 1.5 swr on ch 40 and 1, (sunny weather). I was holding it while this test was going on. Now that I mounted it I'm getting 2.1 (cloudy weather). Is this because of the weather being different, me holding it, or my chimney having a metal hood and maybe taking away signal? Also my antenna worked even tho I disconnected it from the grounding rod, how is this possible?

10. TimeTorn

TimeTorn Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2015
    I bought the 980ssb.. Didn't like it much..

I'm not a fan of all the digital controls. The RF gain is set up as a toggle between normal and "Local". You can adjust the gain for "local" by holding the RF gain button, then turning the main knob.

There is a Day/Night brightness toggle on it. You have to press in the center knob to enter the menu, turn over to day/night mode, press it again... not sure of the specific procedure since I no longer have it hooked up, but it's more complicated than simply pressing a single button.

Seems to pick up a lot of noise...

Had Kelly's CB out of Vegas do a peak and tune shortly after purchasing it. Could only get it up to about 20 watts.

After using it for about a month.. the squelch stopped working on it. All the noise comes through no matter how high I turn up the squelch. Works fine for a while after I turn it on, but then all the noise comes through.

The beep sound it makes is loud... there's no way to turn it off or adjust it. A CB shop can disable it permanently though.

The built in speaker sucks... it sounds like crap... you will need an external if you want to be able to hear people clearly.

SSB is neat I guess... So you can kick more watts out legally? I don't quite understand what the point is, though I'm no expert. If you have it on, regular CB users will hear you, but you will sound like a munchkin or a demon depending on weather you are using upper or lower. Everyone else will sound weird to you too. Only real benefit is if the person you're talking to is also using SSB, then you both have to be using the same channel, upper or lower. Then you can communicate with each other a bit further? Why not just get an amp? I never really got much use out of it. It was fun to mess with for a while I suppose.

I got tired of the busted squelch and replaced it with a Cobra 29 LX. Has all the features of the 980, except for SSB. Weather, scan, color change LCD...

Analog squelch and all other knobs too. Except the channel knob is digital. A button you can press once to go from dim to bright, or bright to dim.. instead of some janky menu.

You can go into the menu and turn off the beeps.

Kelly tuned this one for me, got it to 23 watts.

Really happy with it.

I definitely don't suggest the 980
    It just seems like when they made it, they wanted to check off all the bells and whistle check boxes as cheaply as possible.

Giving the 980 to my cousin, since he's a cheapscate and will be perfectly happy to have a free janky radio with no squelch.

11. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    SSB is a whole new world.

Of course you both need to be on SSB for it to work.

You can talk to people on SSB all over the continent. They dont sound weird if youre tuned in properly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.