SSB CB Radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Sgonza101, Mar 15, 2018.

1. IndianaF150

IndianaF150 Medium Load Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Yes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sgonza101

Sgonza101 Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Yes on what part?

4. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017

The problem is that since you are using a mobile antenna as a base antenna, it doesn't work very well because it's electrically missing the other half of the antenna, commonly known as a ground plane. So by you holding the antenna, your body was acting like a ground plane and helping the RF reflections from the antenna, and causing the SWR readings to be lower. Now if you were to use 2 of the same 7 ft mobile antenna, you could make it work. The top antenna (above where the coax connects) acts like the radiator. The bottom antenna (below where the coax connects) acts like a ground plane. Of course you will need to remove the plastic washer from the lower antenna in order for this to work. You want the lower antenna shorted out to the mount. This is basically whats known as a dipole antenna. The down side, would be that since you are using 2 7ft antennas, your chimney would have to be over 14ft tall so the lower antenna doesn't hit the top of your roof. Therefore its better just to buy a base antenna that is already designed to be up in the air and away from metal objects.

5. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    Thank you for the info. That's all I've been reading this whole time, that I need two antennas. Do you know if this would work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01D...SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=ground+plane

6. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    No not really, I've heard of guys trying them, but they didn't get the results they were hoping for. I think the problem with these radial kits for mobile antennas, is that they are too short to be of any benefit to helping
    the antenna. Of course you can't go with a normal length horizontal radial because it would hit the side of
    your vehicle, not to mention how dumb it would look. LOL.

7. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    I think I'll just buy a antron 99 or sirio GPE 27. Which one would.you suggest?

8. Jasonkip

Jasonkip Bobtail Member

Dec 12, 2017
    California
    Stryker SR-955HPC 10 meter radio 955 radio.jpg

All I can say is wow..this radio will blow you away..Love the controls and meter..The color changing display is awsome..Plenty of options on settings so you can customize it to your liking. Nice filters..awesome echo controls..and with a little tuning..loud audio and very good swing..folks don't have a hard time hearing it no doubt..nothing but good reports from folks I talk to..Love this radio..I have had a general Lee and a mirage 44..they were nice radios and did well but this Stryker is the cream of the crop! Big County from Virginia said that and we are back on the side.

Controls and Indicators for SR-955HPC 10 Meter Radio (Copied From Stryker Radios Website)
    1. Function Menu Button
    2. Monitor (Talkback)
    3. RF Power Output Control
    4. Mode Selector Control
    5. Dimmer Switch
    6. Hi-Cut receiver filter
    7. Roger Beep switch
    8. Program switch
    9. CTCSS switch
    10. Clarifier mode
    11. Channel Display
    12. On/Off Echo switch
    13. Display Color button
    14. Channel Scan button
    15. Band Mode Switch
    16. Microphone jack
    17. VFO Mode switch
    18. Receiver Volume
    19. Receiver Squelch
    20. Microphone Gain
    21. RF Gain
    22. Noise Blanker/ANL
    23. Echo Volume
    24. Echo Delay
    25. Fine Clarifier Adjustment
    26. Coarse Clarifier Adjustment
    27. Channel Selector

9. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    This for SSB..

mine has served me well for many years..

10. weasel

weasel Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Sirio boomerang, decent base antenna for around $60.00

11. Sgonza101

Mar 10, 2018
    I ordered the sirio GPE 27. I have not installed it due to wather...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.