"STAA approved routes....."

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Let's say you are on a non-"staa approved route." (whatever that means....)

There are no low-bridges and the road is reasonably wide enough and there's not much traffic(esp at night).

Are there any problems with this?

Is this absolutely illegal?

Due to where our terminals are located, the most direct/shortest route does not seem to be the interstate all the time. Unless the interstates are truly the quickest way, then i generally prefer the shortest way. And it's more fun.

NOTES:
    Most of the time i've got two 28 pups, maybe 15% of the time i got a 53' van.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    That depends on state law. Some states have overall length limits that staa trucks are not subject to on staa routes. Some have longer limits. Some don't really enforce those limits.

rank and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    There are other things, sometimes those routes have coops, and using other roads is considered bypassing the scales.

US 52 in IL from I 57 to I 80 is one that comes to mind, and the county (Will County) does enforce it late nights and early mornings.

You have to read carefully in the truck atlas about legal access, and it isn't always enforced by the letter, but there are places it is.

Now on 52 again, but in southern MN, the truck GPS units won't route it, but I've been taking it for years with no problems.

There appears to be a quarter mile stretch in Harmony that shows red(trucks not allowed), right in town, for no visible reason, and never any signs or exclusion I can find in the atlas.

Wondering what that's about.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  5. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    I always wondered what STAA stands for.

6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    You can learn a lot by reading the section on State Access Policies in your Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Atlas. Most states have their policies on their respective department of transportation websites as well.

Basically, if it isn't highlighted orange in your atlas, it's not an approved STAA route, which means you need to abide by that particular state's laws regarding non-STAA routes. Besides state laws, then you have local jurisdictions. Most states allow 1 mile off of the STAA routes. This is documented where I mentioned above. Carriers can get permission to be on certain routes if they apply for said permission. Personally, I often run into more restrictions since I pull doubles and frequently have hazmat.

So the moral of the story is that if it isn't an STAA route, and you're beyond that distance allowed from the national network per that state, and even if there aren't any low bridges or other listed restrictions in your atlas, you could still get a ticket. I've known lots of drivers that decided to just 'wing it' and got into some trouble - and some of these drivers didn't even bother checking for low bridges, even if it was still illegal!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    driverdriver, Toomanybikes and ladr Thank this.
  7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Surface Transportation Assistance Act.

HalpinUout, Western flyer and DTP Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's not illegal unless it's posted "Resticted" by the state.

And even then, it might be restricted for say a certain length.

I went through this awhile back on the road Arizona 260.
    It's not STAA classified, but it's not restricted either, and I called bear and verified it.
    That highway turns into the Arizona 87, and one mile north of where it joins, it's restricted, and posted.
    They should have it listed on the states DOT, if it is.

And if it is marked restricted, and you try it, you probably won't make it. Then bear is going to barbecue your ### in molasses.

9. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Read the atlas on states rules, talk to the other drivers at the terminal to see what they do. And sometimes them Dot officers in the coop can give you some good information..or set you up.

10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Indiana 1 to bypass the one on 74 at OH/IN border is another. I've ran that in day cab with 53 footer. Won't do it again. Not approved for trucks, though lots still use it.

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I think that one is in the atlas.

I really can't find the one in MN, and 2 of my friends with truck GPS told me of it, but I just got use of one and saw it for the first time myself.
    Pennsylvania is infamous for routing with short exclusions for 102 wide, or over 48 feet long, or twins, you see a sign maybe a quarter mile from the spot and then another to turn off the route at the closest turn.

They're also funny about bridges, some allow doubles but don't allow tandem axles. Pittsburgh is fun for that, 3 rivers , and all.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.