"Stable work history")

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by phantom 310, Dec 2, 2021.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    When I first got my Cdl I worked for various companies through driver agencies because back in the 90's it wasn't easy to obtain an trucking job directly. I used it to my advantage by gaining experience in van, reefer, Flat bed, Dump Truck etc. Experience. I went from 3 months, 6 months, (2 different jobs) at 9 months to a year at places to another job for 2 years. In total of 10 jobs in 8 years to one for 19 years (which I'm preparing to leave in 6 months to start my own Authority). Driver Reterntion comes down to pay however attitude of the Employers Management & clerical department overall especially amongst senior employees. I've almost been trucking for 3 decades and ignorance when it comes down to completing my job daily takes a toll when others are responsible such as something simple like a dispatcher giving LTL pickups by sending old addresses. A lot of corporate run Trucking companies have to many cheifs who are full of themselves. For me I've made the decision to become my own boss.

As I see it overall in Trucking with the current situation from the Global Supply Chain now being a huge messed caused by covid. It's going to get worse with driver retention because any 'Yahoo' is obtaining a cdl as a secondary career choice in most cases, automatic transmission steering wheel holders with lacking experience. The governments biggest mistake was introducing Autonomous Trucks back in 2016 which deterred a good majority of younger drivers who want to enter the industry for a longevity type of career. There's tons of pretentious wannabe truckers with YouTube channels popping up daily yet fewer 20 year plus experience truckers ones showing how trucking real is! Until the majority four wheelers start respecting the trucker on the roads for what truckers do the turnover will remain in the 90% plus range.

Dennixx and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Folks have too many options now....you don't like a particular job, on to the next one. I'm not sure what people look for when it comes to work, like it's this nirvana that needs to be achieved. Commitment and loyalty is a lost art on so many fronts.

Hazmat Cat and Pamela1990 Thank this.
  4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    On the employer's end as well.
    In 48 yrs only 1 company I've worked for is still operating..Warren Transport out of Waterloo

And 1 other Roadshow Services out of San Francisco is still operating I believe

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Reason for edit: Add info
    Speed_Drums and bryan21384 Thank this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    It's so simple.

Just keep going to places that have

More money
    More miles
    More hometime

And you should improve every step of the way.

Dennixx Thanks this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Coulson is looking for C-130 co-pilots. If you have any heavy turbine time and an A&P you could probably get an interview.
    Erickson is looking for help too but most of their fixed wing seats are filled. If you have an A&P and don't mind living out of a suitcase they need helicopter mechanics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.