Stainless steel stacks

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Jun 18, 2021.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I am trying to collect as much information before ( if ) i pull the trigger on stack installation and purchase . I am looking at 7" stainless steel picket style pipes for me 2010 kw t660 , here are the questions :
    1 . Is lincoln crome reputable manufacturer of them ? Pls refer other ones
    2 . Do i need muffler ? I dont want to become deaf ( friend of mine suggested using volvo muffler because its pretty compact )
    3 . Will a gain any mpg or loose being straight piped ?
    4 . Whats the average cost for materials only including everything i need ?!
    I am entertaining an idea to get rid of fairings ( move to my other truck ) and have stacks installed , i purchased fender extensions already ...now i am thinking either have bigger tanks installed to eliminate the gap between tank and future battery box or keep my tanks ( paint them ) and have stacks installed ( thinking about getting either kw 34 battery box or international prostar tool box ( it looks more attractive and convenient ... Cheaper to ( OEM) ...
    Just wanna hear opinions
    Maybe someone have same truck as mine with them already but it does seem like rare situation from my research

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    As of now i have my exhaust routed down on my pass side

4. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    I've had 7" and 8" straights. Will they make you go deaf....no. however, they do drone on though going down the road. Your Jakes will be super loud though with no muffler. If you run west where there are long grades, it will get loud and annoying in the cab....for sure. I'm thinking about putting in a short resonator just to tone it down some. They sound sweet as all get out at idle and in town though. Like....real sweet. However, on long descents, my right ear starts to get a little sensitive. And you aren't sneaking around anywhere that is for sure. Now, I don't know about the newer aero trucks though. Mine are on a 379 with modified 6nz.

Rubber duck kw, Ky Flash and pavrom Thank this.
  5. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I have 7” straights from Lincoln Chrome. Just their regular ones not the stainless. Ran without a muffler for a while, and loved the sound of my 2ws but the jake was sure sharp loud in the higher rpm range, ended up with a resonator for a bit and it did tone it down a little but still pretty loud, so found a 20” donalson muffler but when I opened the box I found it had a baffle in it. Well one sawsall blade later the baffle was on the floor and its just about right now. Still plenty loud in the low end but the upper end quieted down a lot but you still know there’s a kitty under the hood.

Why are you looking at the stainless?
    Dynaflex is also makes the big stacks and Roadworks just entered the stack game too. I went lincoln because I wanted single piece pipes.

Stray_Dog, pavrom and shooter19802003 Thank this.
  6. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I have always bought quality chrome pipes. The stainless have a different tone or ring hard to describe but at any rate they drive me crazy. Just an opinion. They make a small resonantor that will quiet them some. Putting a muffler back on defeats the purpose of straights. I’m sure they flow better, that said you will not feel or see any difference in performance

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Stainless will last longer and won't rust

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  8. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Doesn't a 2010 have a DPF? Or is it pre or did it fall off?

Isafarmboy and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. 50WT

50WT Heavy Load Member

Dec 26, 2015
    I've got 8 inch dynaflex with a resonator under the cab with picket elbows.
    This is on a 2017 Pete 389 with a 12.7 detroit. The sound is awesome,
    jakes are loud but otherwise not so bad, inside cab is quiet enough to
    carry on a conversation without shouting. 555431 miles and no problems,
    no discoloration no leaks. My only gripe would be you're looking at about
    1/4 of the mirror of stack ,maybe this would be better with 7 inch.
    I've gotten used to the mirror thing and wouldn't want to change them.
    Absolutely love the look!

pavrom Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    It has 7cz

lester Thanks this.
  11. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    About Lincoln Chrome my experience has been positive
    they build a quality product

Diesel Dave and pavrom Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.