Stan Koch...thinking of going back.

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Gearjammin' Penguin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. azcardnlz

azcardnlz Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks to all for posting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cappa5

cappa5 Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2010
    minneapolis,minnesota
    :biggrin_25514:I worked for Koch for about a year. There is a high turn over rate. I had a lot of problems getting the shop to fix problems with the truck. Dispatch would act understanding but need to get running. They pride them selfs with getting you back for appointments. I missed one Doctors appointment. After getting another appointment I couldnot get a response from dispatch about getting me back for this one. They will use driver for excape goots. I was coming out of the mountains in Colorado on I70, my brakes were smoking. So I pulled into a wayside to let them cool. I was there about ten minutes when the D.O.T. pulled in and did a little inspection. I turned this paper work in with the tripPak like you are supposed to. I recieved a call from dispatch asking me what this right up was. I told them it was just a D.O.T. inspection that needs to sent back to colorado. Here at the end of the year I receive a letter from Koch stating that should they be get an audit from the Deparment of Trasportation, I, the driver would be found in violation of turning this paperwork in to the carrier as required. They failed turn this paper work in to Co. D.O.T. And then just blame the driver. This is a reason they have a high turn over rate. They blame drivers for their own negligence.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  4. Ken Worth

Ken Worth Medium Load Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Great Plains
    Yes, that was a good reply. It's tough now for everybody, including the management. Freight rates have fallen significantly and they're looking for ways to NOT be one of the companies we hear about going under every week. Look at it this way....your husband works cheaper as a new driver and as long as he does his job and doesn't mess up the equipment, he has a better chance of keeping the job than a high paid driver. It looks like we might be finally seeing the bottom as factory orders are showing some signs of improving. Tell your husband to just do his job and don't listen to all the wise men at the truckstops and on the CB.

5. Fargo

Fargo Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2010
    here and there
    I personally dont work for Koch but our trucks are leased from them. I can say with no problem that if i havea problem that they do what they can in service to correct and resolve the problem in a timely manner, but as a O/O i would not reccomend working for the out fit, they seem to think that their drivers and laborers are robots and dont need any time at home or time off i have talked to alot the drivers from Koch and they all say the same thing. never home and their needs are never met.

6. Polarbear

Polarbear Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2007
    USA
    Koch is and has been in trouble since about 7 years ago. Their staff is under constant pressure and the management is lacking. I have yet to meet a driver of theirs who has been there longer than 9 months. If you want more proof of this, just call their personel department and chat for a bit. I called to get my records from several years ago and they are extremely rude and disrespectful. I wish I had never worked there and I am very very glad that I left. I would consider Crete Carriers anyday over the likes of Koch trucking.

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Based on what I see from the dedicated drivers at the Best Buy DC in Denver, they hire only bottom feeder drivers who have the IQ of a gnat. They park dropped trailers and bobtails directly across from the 3 receiving docks making it very difficult to back in. They have been told time and again not to but they still do it. Recently I had a 5 am unload at the DC, watched one of the drivers come in, load his gear in his tractor, then leave his POV parked at an angle 15 ft out from the curb, and drive off in his tractor. The POV was parked in such a way that it made access to one of the docks impossible to back into unless you blindside into it or unless no one else is in the dock, then it sat there for two days while he was on the road.

When I commented to the receiving clerk, she said "he does it all the time in hopes someone will hit so he can get some money for it".

The DC supervisor written up the drivers about this several times and they ignore him, when he demanded new drivers from Koch he was told none were available.
    My boss has called Koch to complain about their drivers stupidity, he was told by Koch safety that it wasn't their problem and perhaps the DC sshould deal with it.

8. valerderea

valerderea Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Koch has gone down hill since Stan Koch died. He was a man that stood up for, respected, and understood the importance of his drivers to feel at home, and the drivers loved him, but that is ancient history. The sons now run it, and you can just imagine the rest.
    To get fired all you need is 3 incidents, like running over dirt and rubbing a tree, or hitting pot hole, or have a motorist call in on you.(only 1 in 12yrs)
    You will be hard pressed to find drivers with 1yr or more there, used to be the other way years ago.
    Loads are forced dispatch and getting home good luck. I hear some don't get home for months. ( general freight)
    High turn over rates as well each week they have up to 20 people in orientation.
    Family oriented, not, only if you are in the office. Be prepared to be lied to by your dispatches on a daily bases.
    All I can say if you go there, good luck but get ready to have your record messed up.
    They have electronic logs too.:biggrin_255:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  9. dasco3

dasco3 Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Powhatan VA
    Sorry to hear all the negative.

10. psycho

psycho Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2010
    texas
    any body know anything new about koch im talking to them and i need the real truth thx msg here r email 600197@gmail thx

11. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Believe it or not, I actually received the 2 year decal for my truck before I finally had it, between Ops and Safety, and of course, Driver Liason

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.