Star Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Da Beast, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    Does anyone drive for Star Transportation out of Tennessee? If so can you give me info on them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    They re out of Nashville and owned by Covenant Transport.

Da Beast Thanks this.
  4. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    I know that much about them. I was looking for info on what it's like to drive for them.

5. Sustanon

Sustanon Light Load Member

Dec 19, 2010
    KY
  6. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    @Sustanon Please expound! Everyone giving me these short answers... They told me they have a regional run from MD to MA at .50cpm with about 2100 miles per week home on weekend. What's your experience? Others please feel free to jump in!

7. Troutfisher83

Troutfisher83 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I just started with Star. They do have a lot of close proximity regional runs. Most of their NorthEast company drivers stay in the NorthEast running regional up there. I'm still on standby waiting for my trainer to start his next run. What attracted me to them was the SE regional which consists of TN, AL, GA, and MS. That is running parts for Nissan. I was told up front that I may start out as a "fill in" until a spot opened up for the Nissan account. Fill in meaning where they may need you for the first few weeks. They just won a huge contract for GM out of Spring Hill, TN. You get paid $600 a week while in training even when you're on standby. If you are an experienced driver that won't require training then you will get your truck after orientation and head home and get ready to roll. Starting pay all depends on what you can arrange with recruiting, but the bottom starting for experienced is $.38/mi averaging about 2400 mi a week. But that all depends on your region and recruiting. They do say home on weekends but that depends on your route and your manager. The manager I will probably be working for said they can try to have you home on weekends but they do want people who are willing to work the weekends because most accounts they have are automotive accounts that also work weekends. But home weekly was not an issue.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
    Reason for edit: More info added.
    Stangman2016 Thanks this.
  8. Stangman2016

Stangman2016 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2016
    I live in Knoxville and will hopefully be finishing driving school soon. I've heard a lot of bad things and some good things with this company like everyone else. I have 6 children so not only is weekly hometime important, but I still need to keep a steady decent paycheck. I keep hearing that they won't run you enough miles per week. Does anyone else have any advice or experience they can share?

9. MidTennTrucker

MidTennTrucker Light Load Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Middle Tennessee
    I spoke to a guy a couple of weeks ago who drives for them. It was a Wednesday and he was still home because they had no load for him. He said the miles suck right now. Take that for what it's worth.

Stangman2016 Thanks this.
  10. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    The biggest problem with them is their accounts, which isn't much of a problem if you budget yourself well. One of their main accounts is Nissan. Nissan goes on a two week shut down in December every year. If you are on the Nissan account, you go on the two week shut down with them. They tell you that if you want a load while they are on shut down then they will help you get one. I use to work at Nissan and I rather enjoyed the time off. If you budget your money well you can pretty much plan a two week vacation around the shut down. For now that's what my plan is if I get that account. I wish I had more info to share, but I'm still fresh. On the bright side, my trainer is on the Nissan account and I've been waiting on him to start back up. But while I've been on stand by, I've been getting training pay for the past three weeks. That's for anyone who hires on. Training pay is $600/week. Not too bad for getting to spend time at home with my family. So I have no complaints so far.

YoungGuns and Stangman2016 Thank this.
  11. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    To add to my previous post, all the drivers I spoke with at the terminal seemed to really enjoy it and didn't have any complaints. If that helps any.

Da Beast Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.