Star Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Da Beast, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Troutfisher83

Troutfisher83 Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Ok, update. Recent graduates train for 4 weeks unless you're Bad A, and the trainer releases you early. The only downside I've seen so far is that Star does not offer paid time off or sick time. So any time you take off is just down time. Still, it could be a lot worse than that. I will be off Wednesday and picking my truck up Thursday morning. Still not sure what route I will be on. They seem to want to keep you in suspense until they last second. But I'm ready to roll.

Da Beast and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    Thanks for all the info! I'm currently in CDL school and was looking at Star to start when I graduate. I live in MD and they told me they have a NE run paying. 50 CPM. Play keep us updated on how you like it and any other pertinent information! Thanks!!!!

Troutfisher83 Thanks this.
  4. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm at the LaVergne terminal right now waiting for them to finish installing my inverter and CB. Got my truck today. It's pretty dirty and smells like someone smoked in it and had a pet inside, hair everywhere. Funny because pets aren't allowed. Anyways, I'll get it cleaned up. I will be doing fill in routes until I get something permanent. I'm not sure how long that will be, but I will keep you updated over the next few days about what's going on. Once I get my truck I'm headed back to the house and I will talk to my fleet manager to see where I'm headed. I know they do have NE runs and that's pretty much where they stay. I talked to a driver today from up there and the only problem he had was getting a load back home because he came down here to get a new truck. If you have to come down here for maintenance or something else, it may take some time to get a load back home.

Da Beast Thanks this.
  5. NewTrucker7

NewTrucker7 Light Load Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Ohio
    50 CPM sounds nice, how many miles is that run?

6. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    The recruiter said it's about a 2100 mile a week average

7. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Ok, looks like I'll be running from Spring Hill, TN to Indiana or Michigan for GM, at least until something opens up for the local run.

Da Beast Thanks this.
  8. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    More information!!! I have heard a lot of complaints about a shortage of loads for drivers. I have somewhat ran into that issue starting out on my own. I am pretty much doing fill in work. The problem I have had so far is the two runs I had before today were very short miles (less than 100 miles) each day. Both of those trips I had to park overnight and wait for them to unload the trailer the next morning. The one I'm on tonight was a little better. Almost 200 miles here, park overnight, and 200 miles to the net stop. So far I have only been to KY and back to TN. I'm still optimistic that it will pick up for me and they will get my hours straightened out. We will see how that goes tomorrow. I'm sitting in Somerset, KY right now waiting out my 8 hours until pickup in the morning. Once I get that load finished I will see if it gets any better. I guess the key is getting a regular route to get your miles in. But I'm keeping my head up. It's been a good experience so far.

9. Stangman2016

Stangman2016 Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Well I have decided to go with Schneider instead of Star. Pay was a little worse starting out, but the benefits are better and the recruiter was much more knowledgeable and able to answer my questions. I wish you all the best of luck. Star does seem like a good company just not a good fit for me at the present time.

10. Da Beast

Da Beast Bobtail Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Bel air, MD
    It looks like I will be going with Schneider as well. The recruiter emailed me and said they had all the drivers they need in my area and that there was a hiring freeze.

11. Troutfisher83

Aug 11, 2013
    Tennessee
    Good choice! I'm gonna stick it out here for at least 6 months and see how it works out. After that, who knows. Good luck on your new adventures. I volunteered for a team run today through Saturday. I'm laying on the bunk cruising through Texas as I type, on the way to El Paso. Decent miles this week. But Schneider seems like a great company. Hope they treat y'all well. Let me know how things are going for y'all. I'd love to hear from you.

Da Beast Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.