Start at McElroy on Monday!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RevKev, Feb 2, 2013.

1. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    Good Luck,hope it all works out for you two

d o g Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Sorry he's had such a difficult experience with CRE. I doubt he'll have any of the same difficulties at MTL. Sounds like he should just go ahead & fill out the online app or at least give MTL a call. That way he could go ahead & get an orientation date set up so he'd have as little time as possible between gigs, or possibly at least schedule it in a way that's best for y'all.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    newtruckerwife84 Thanks this.
  4. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    I have only heard one person give them a bad review but I have heard more good, positive things about them and for us I do believe they will be the best fit. Thank you for all the info. Please keep us all updated :)

5. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Yeah, there was a guy on here a while back that flamed them pretty badly. I read thru his comments & too much of it all just didn't add up. And that was before I'd done anything other than just briefly scan MTL's website. Heck, I even joked with one of the instructors about that guy.

6. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Someone always abandons their loaded Mackerel truck at the Lowe's in Dickson, TN every weekend. Like it's a truckstop or something.

7. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Most likely not abandoned, but just parked for the weekend. Most Lowes stores will allow MTL drivers to park their trucks in the parking lot over the weekend. Probably has something to do with the fact MTL was just awarded, again (11 of the last 12 years), "Lowes Carrier of the Year".

GoldenLad Thanks this.
  8. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    I noticed that on their website, they also got an award for safety too :)

RevKev Thanks this.
  9. AndrewMemphis

AndrewMemphis Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Southeast region
    Thanks for all the info RevKev!

I called McElroy up, and even though I might have been 5 months with Werner -- they said they would have no problem hiring me. 40 cpm beats the heck out of 23 and a half cpm. You seem to have a great attitude about everything, and I think that's what has helped you in the long run! They told me they drive mostly through 10 states, is it around the Southeast and Northeast or Mid-atlantic? I went to a CDL school that they didn't recruit from, which I still owe money to -- so I hope they'll be able to work that out for me. I have never done Flatbedding of any kind before, but I am absolutely positive that I can learn to do anything if I set my mind to it. There were so many times I thought I couldn't back a trailer on my own, or couldn't drive without my trainer watching over me, and I proved myself wrong! It seems that people are far more capable than they ever imagine themselves to be, we just have to give ourselves a chance. :biggrin_255:

Xile Thanks this.
  10. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Hi, AndrewMemphis. My trainer at MTL had actually started out at Werner. When it was time for him to get his own truck & start the Dollar General account he was told he'd get, suddenly the DG account was no longer available for him, so he told them "Adios." He then went to MTL.

During my 4 weeks on the trainer truck we were in AL, MS, TN, AR, GA, & KY. As soon as I get my trailer loaded this morning here in Brownsville, TN at a Lowes DC, I'm headed to Alton, IL, which is just north of St. Louis, MO. The MTL website has a list of terminals & that'll give ya a better idea of where all we run.

As far as learning flatbed, you won't have a problem picking it up. Heck, it ain't "rocket surgery". ;) There are just a lot of little details to keep up with, but I'm sure there are as well when it comes to pulling a dry van. Of course, we rarely bump a dock, so that's nice. lol Just keep in mind that backing a split axle trailer will be a bit different from what you've been backing. Still, it's nothing you won't be able to pick up quickly. Keep me updated on your process. Wish ya all the best!

Lefty1 Thanks this.
  11. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    RevKev how are things going now that you are solo? Is it what you expected?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.