Start at McElroy on Monday!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RevKev, Feb 2, 2013.

1. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    I don't know anything about Averitt's flatbed division. Seen a couple of their flatbeds out on the road though. Their starting cpm isn't bad at all for dry van actually compared to other dry van companies. The question seems to be the amount of miles. At least it was for me.

Im not averaging taking home $700/week. Never actually did an average on take home. I do know I've had only two weeks in which my take home was less than $630.00.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. B_easy

B_easy Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2013
    RevKev,

Just a quick and sincere Thanks for this thread. I have really enjoyed reading all 25 pages this morning. I decided to apply with McElroy once I complete the CDL process some time ago but this thread has filled in some of the gaps I was curious about. I am retiring from the Army after 20 years service and anxious to get into the lifestyle. Hope this finds you well and continually gaining knowledge and experience to share. I expect to be in school this coming April and available for McElroy in May! Thanks again Sir, excellent insight!

RevKev Thanks this.
  4. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    I'm glad the thread has been a decent resource for you. And let me thank you so much for your service, & also congratulate you on your upcoming retirement! Godspeed to ya!

B_easy Thanks this.
  5. route man

route man Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2013
    nc
    How are things going??

6. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Things are going well! Things stayed just fine at MTL. However, I recently made a change & have moved on to Tidewater Transit, a tanker company. Pulling tankers is ultimately where I wanted to be. TWT has given me an opportunity to get there sooner than I'd hoped. I have nothing at all remotely bad to say about MTL. They provided good training & followed thru with everything they'd ever promised. They were very professional in handling my notice & my last couple of weeks with them. Very appreciative of my time & the folks at MTL.

I'll be based out of TWT's Decatur, AL terminal, so my bride & I will moving to that area in the near future.

7. popcorn169

popcorn169 Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    Hope all goes well at TWT for you. Good luck on your tanker adventure.

RevKev Thanks this.
  8. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    I appreciate that! So far, through orientation & a couple of days of training, I'm really liking it. While getting it all set up I had a couple of opportunities to sit down & have face-to-face conversations with my terminal manager. He was very gracious with his time, answered all my questions, & always encouraged me to come up with more questions. Looking forward to finishing up training & getting out on the road!

9. popcorn169

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    How long is orientation and do you have to go out with someone? I see a lot of them up and down the highway. How long will you be out before you get home?

10. RevKev

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    Well, orientation is only two days. Training is typically a week (unless a driver is straight out of school), depending on how quickly one picks up on things. My terminal manager told me that even if the trainer says I'm good to go after a week, but if I don't feel comfortable/confident, just speak up & they'll keep me in training a few more days. As far as going out with anyone, I've been out with a city driver/day cab guy for two days already. Probably go out a couple more times before this next week is over. If all goes well this week, Thursday or Friday I'll head back to Decatur, AL to get assigned my truck. I'm training at the Kingsport, TN terminal. As to how long I'll be out, it really just depends. I'm told they prefer their drivers not to be out more than ten days. Some are home on weekends, & some even make it home a night or two durin the week. Just depends on how the loads are going.

11. popcorn169

Sep 5, 2011
    state of confusion
    I can understand letting you stay with a trainer if you don't feel comfortable. How will you get to Al. rent a car or ride with someone? How do you like doing the tanker side of trucking?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.