Start at McElroy on Monday!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by RevKev, Feb 2, 2013.

1. silverdrifter

silverdrifter Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    athens georgia
    I bet you guys are getting tired of me asking all the questions

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. silverdrifter

Oct 31, 2013
    athens georgia
    well I will find out next week I have to be there Monday at the hotel Sunday far as the labor part of the job believe it or not I'm looking forward to that and for the road test as long as they don't mind grinding gears esp downshifting I don't see how I would fail that I'm what you call a worry wart I worry about every little thing it sucks believe me

4. TAC12

TAC12 Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2014
    North GA
    Retention in this business is unreal....I heard Werner ran over 10k drivers throughout there company as a whole last year alone. A friend of mine that works for Covenant in Chattanooga said they have over 6k a year. I heard large carriers is often above 96%, and a rate of 75-80% or more at smaller carriers isn’t uncommon. Sad too, this is a much needed profession, but the problem as I see it is that most of your large carriers care little about their drivers and have a "I can replace them" attitude. No wonder drivers have a poor mentality of bigger companies. Cheap freight has hurt the industry which hurts the economy and a vortex begins which hits the driver for lower wages in the end...... However it is a catch 22 and drivers as a whole are really the ones responsible for that because we do agree to drive for what they offer to pay......

JUST MY .02
    tAc12

RevKev Thanks this.
  5. silverdrifter

Oct 31, 2013
    athens georgia
    I also heard that get money from the government to hire students too so some will hire a student just tog et the money from the government keep them around a month and let them go and start it over again that is the bigger mega carriers I seriously doubt McElroy is like that tho

6. streetglider

streetglider Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Anxiety my friend. Relax your gonna be fine just do what you did in school and your gonna be fine. As long as you keep the right attitude you will make it. You will find out that the instructors at orientation are real people. They have already been where you are going. So they understand.

silverdrifter Thanks this.
  7. RevKev

RevKev Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Decatur, AL
    I suppose Q&A is a big reason the forum exists. That guy's physical issues were of an agility nature. He realized he just wouldn't be able to do the job. And grinding gears in training is not a big deal. In fact, I think on Wed or Thur there will be shift training each evening.

silverdrifter Thanks this.
  8. TAC12

TAC12 Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2014
    North GA
    I have an acquaintance of mine that I met during CDL that went to McElroy. I have also spoke to them on several occasion and everything I have heard about them has been TOP NOTCH....If flatbed is what your l@@king for then I hear they are the company to go to...A few others as well but nonetheless a good one....

silverdrifter and RevKev Thank this.
  9. "Hang - Man"

"Hang - Man" Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Western PA
    Keep up on posting when you can Silverdrifter, and don't worry about the turn over rate.
    Most of those numbers are really from people that just think trucking is something else than what it really is and the camping in a truck all year isn't for everyone.

silverdrifter and RevKev Thank this.
  10. GrizzlyCan2011

GrizzlyCan2011 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Blanchard, LA
    I was just gonna report on how things are going. In my 2nd week with my trainer, and I'm really enjoying my time so far. Trainer says I'm doing really good and glad to see I use my map book a lot instead of the GPS. Only thing I'm struggling some with is strapping and tar ping a load, but I'm getting better at it. I did experience a bathroom emergency and why you should have emergency supplies. I woke up dead out of sleep, my stomach was hollering. Man I jetted out the truck and went looking for a bathroom. I love seeing those pretty peterbilt hauling them bull wagons blowing our doors off. Quite the sight to see that engine screaming as I drive my slow prostar. Only thing that sucks is as soon as I get my own truck I'll have to turn if in in a month to go of my 3 week military crap I gotta do every year.

RevKev Thanks this.
  11. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    MTL doesn't stand for McElroy truck lines, it's "Must Tarps loads" and yes all of them

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.