Starting Late in Life

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by econnor65, May 28, 2025.

  1. Bfr38

    Bfr38 Medium Load Member

    460
    195
    Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    0
    9 mph wont hurt you, 15 mph, or faster would have. If the VA will pay for your CDL go through a school. If they won’t, sign up with Pam, Prime, Schneider, Werner, Swift, etc… You said you were going to go OTR so I would just train with one of them and get time experience and move on. You’re going to have to pay for your training anyways. Best of luck to you!
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    79,273
    192,425
    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    0
    He went with TMC 8 months ago.
     
    Bfr38 Thanks this.
  4. Bfr38

    Bfr38 Medium Load Member

    460
    195
    Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    0
    Thank you, sorry, I didn’t go back and look.
     
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. econnor65

    econnor65 Light Load Member

    59
    121
    May 28, 2025
    0
    My rap name is 'Sir Tarp-A-Lot. I do about 3-4 8' drop tarp'd loads a week. These lumber tarps will humble a man. TMC policy is no shorts, hard toe shoes, hard hat, etc. I am soaked when finished tarping. Rates seem to be improving or maybe I am just getting better loads as a work my way up the totem pole. My weekly stats seem to be in the top half or better for my fleet, team and company wide. Revenue to the truck seems to hover around $5k, but did have a couple $6k weeks. My backing skills are getting way better, have not hit anything yet, but was real slow at first with too many pull ups. I have no issue now with getting into a tight spot at a truck stop at night. I see the box van drivers do maneuvers that my 10' spread axle just won't do.

    I got popped at a weigh station last week for being 680 over gross but 3,400 over axle (Drives). Was after hours, called safety, gone for the day, night ops advised me to stay in VA and not cross into NC. Thursday night. Going home the next day. #### it. I rolled into NC at about 8pm ish. Wasn't sure if scales were open so I sat on the shoulder and waited for a cluster of trucks to pass and then fell in behind them. Scales were open. Lanes were full, I got a bypass. Talked with safety in the morning. They had five trucks leave that same shipper, all were confirmed as bing similarly over weight. I was the only one that made it to the con Thursday night for Friday morning delivery. The other four stayed in VA and spent the day un tarping, having the load re worked and then re tarping. I got a load out of the same place I delivered to and was home before 1pm Friday. Was a good day. The $181 fine sucked.

    My wife drive for Melton for about four months. They treated her really good, but kept her out for three weeks at a time with a lot of down time. No reason to sit for three days at a drop and hook. She has volunteered at the local fire department and is going through the training pipeline now . Our plan was to drive as a team, pull DoD loads, etc. Obviously that is not happening. We will come up with a plan.

    In the mean time, one of my peers that went through orientation at TMC with has left TMC to work for ATS. Loves it. He jumped after six months at TMC, I plan to wait at least a year before jumping. At this point I am not sure if I want to jump. TMC has some strict rules, but I fuel whenever I want. Pick my own routes, nobody pressures me to hurry and I clear between $1,500 - $1,800 (In the bank) every week. Seems OK for a less than one year flatbed driver.
     
  6. lual

    lual Road Train Member

    5,809
    10,717
    Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    0
    Great to hear back from you, again!

    It appears (for the most part, at least) that you are still "killin' it". :D :Transportation cost

    Don't beat yourself up too bad with the overweight ticket. Everybody makes mistakes...especially in that first year of commercial driving.

    But....by this point....you can easily see why many of us here tell new drivers that your first year of CDL driving is BY FAR the toughest...& will basically suck. :confused: :oops:

    Really disappointed to learn how things panned out with your spouse. Melton generally has a good rep; past that, this appears to be something of a head scratcher....:scratch:

    Keep the updates coming....as stated earlier -- everyone loves a success story.

    :occasion5:

    -- L
     
    Woobie Thanks this.
  7. Powder Joints

    Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

    8,098
    8,649
    Sep 25, 2007
    0
    No worries, your fine, But doesn't your GI Bill pay for training like driving school. AS far as carries, SWIFT or Schnieder I think have decent schools. But a contract or a set number of months you have to work for them, and they enforce them to the letter, so read what you sign
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.