Starting Lease Purchase.....

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Romans612, Dec 3, 2010.

1. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    You better hurry up and get r done while you're new, and know everything.

Some are more gruff than others, some are more negative than others, but old O/Os got to be that way by learing from their mistakes. Unless their hand has been held every step of the way, or great freight fell into their laps, which happens to some people, just as some do well in lease, every O/O has fell flat on their face at one time or another. The difference is getting back up, and learning from mistakes.

Oldies don't care if you are new or not. Most are really trying to keep you from going broke. I don't know about the KLLM lease, I've never checked it out. That's why I asked about maintenance, which I think them paying for all repairs is a good thing. Yes it cost you for that, but you will pay for it one way or another. The main thing is you have to run too hard for what you make at 90 or so cents per mile. I don't know what KLLM pays, but this seems to be the industry standard at this time. I made more that this for all loaded and deadhead miles 10 years ago when things were much cheaper.

With one year or less you have a lot to learn about how to make money with a truck. I know. I drove a straight truck for several months, then a semi running in state only for a very few more months, then bought my first OTR truck. I had some good help as far as advice from an old timer, but like most young new drivers, I didn't listen to all of it. Looking back I should have.

I hope that if you do lease, you do well. Just listen to those who have been there before you that are sucessful, and not just big mouths that think they know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mts1980

mts1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    New Waterford, OH
    I def dont know everything..Ive been driving for little of 3 years so I do have a small clue of how things work but like I said dont know everything..Some old timers are a great resource and will help you out..But like i said alot are just there to be negative..not all just alot..and even you agree with us by saying they fell flat on their face and just got back up and did it again..well if I fall on mine I will do the same thing..gotta try something other than working for the man for the rest of my life

4. Romans612

Romans612 Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Dallas Texas
    I am a noob, a rookie, a greenhorn like many others, I am no legend... and you would do well to heed the advise of these "old timers" since they have seen and walked through what would have KILLED you or I.

Never ignore wisdom (even if you dont agree with it) just because you dont like what they have to say....

I do believe they are mistaken about KLLM's lease purchase, but they are absolutely CORRECT about lease purchase in general in the trucking industry.... dont walk into something blindly....

5. mts1980

mts1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    New Waterford, OH
    I completely agree that you never ignore wisdom..as I dont..but i believe if you dont try that is failing..I believe they are mistaken as well..KLLM seems to have a pretty good deal..nothing is perfect but its the best I have found after hours upon hours of reading on these forums and doing research on the web..I just cant find anything bad about owning your a truck after 2-3 years..not bad to me :biggrin_25523:

6. mts1980

mts1980 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2009
    New Waterford, OH
    Oh and Romans by legend I mean your responses are really good not like a trucking legend..but ill hopefully hit ya up on here in like 20 years and maybe then i can call you a legend lol

7. Southern Star

Southern Star Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Ocean Isle Beach, NC
    Ask KLLM who is a reputable company that is familiar with Lease Purchase programs in regards to tax preparation. They will be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

Also, join the OOIDA. I'm sure they can put you in touch with a good CPA.

8. roehl929

roehl929 Medium Load Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Cleveland, TN
    My personal advice, stay away from these huge accounting firms. Your first year you don't have to file quarterly, the second and so on your suppose to, some don't but by the rules your suppose to. I personally file quarterly. Also definitely do not use some fly by night tax service, trucker taxes are very different than the normal workers, the difference in a good cpa and a cheap tax service is usually thousands of dollars. OOIDA can hook u up. I don't recommend atbs.

9. chaser08

chaser08 Bobtail Member

May 10, 2011
    Irving, Texas
    Driver!! Take that truck back now!!! You should have done the research before you did that.:biggrin_2551:

10. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Seems the OP is so busy getting rich with his LP that he hasn't found time to update this post...

11. TURK

TURK Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Why everybody against to lease? I m a L/O for year and a half and i m very happy about it. Can you have freedom as a company driver? Can you make enough money as a company driver? Or do you have enough down to buy a truck? If your answer is no to these questions then leasing is good. If you dont like responsibility dont go as L/O . If you dont like working hard dont go L/O. Can you become a bussiness owner with no investment? Remember You dont make millions as a L/O . But you can have decent income. I leased second truck. I have two drivers on it and i also have another driver in the truck I drive. I am making money so I got second truck. By the way. I am with Central Refrigerated.Many lazy drivers says they dont make money with Central. You can not make money with any company If you are not a hard working and responsible person.
    i AM NOT POINTING NOBODY. DONT GET ME WRONG.i JUST WANTED TO SAY WHY LEASING IS GOOD.LEASING IS JUST LIKE OWNING A PIZZA PARLOR OR SUB FRANCHISE. EVERY BUSSINESS WILL HAVE GOOD WEEK BAD WEEK.WORK HARD MAKE MONEY.YOU DONT PAY 100K FRANCHISE FEE WITH LEASING. SO DONT EXPECT TO MAKE 3K CLEAR EVERY WEEK.

JAX853 and Prostreet1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.