Starting orientation/training next week CT Transportation

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by mph1972, Sep 21, 2012.

1. mph1972

mph1972 Light Load Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    Thanks on the compliment on my jalopy. :lol:

I am slowly getting use to how the spread axle acts. I am certain that in time it will be easy for me also. I hope. :lol:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chibob

Chibob Medium Load Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Columbia, Missouri
    I thought I would give you as little heads up on the king pin locks.

You can buy a cheap one for around $40-$60. Don't waste your money. You can back up fast and hit those 2 or 3 times and they split in half and fall off.

If you want your trailer to be there when you get back, you have to spend $300-$400 for a good lock like Swift requires all their drivers to buy.

If they ever decide to let you bobtail home, you will need one. Of course they might have an issue about the bobtail insurance. That's a seperate plan from their regular insurance. So you may never get an OK for that.

mph1972 Thanks this.
  4. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    I did a lot of asking around and have found a nice secure and safe place to park my tractor AND trailer, so I am not going to need a king pin lock, but I appreciate the information and warning on the KING PIN locks.

5. Trashtrucker1265

Trashtrucker1265 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Inverness, Fl
    mph1972, I think I might have chimed in a few months ago about CT, weren't you concerned about them being all auto's, and I said something to the effect of "once you know how to shift it stays in your blood"? If so, I'm glad to see you put your hesitation aside about the autos because I think you'll be happy with CT as time goes by. I worked for CCC in 04' for a short period of time, but in that time I was impressed with how we were treated, the pay wasn't the greatest, but pay isn't the only deciding factor for me in employment, I like to be treated like a human as well.

Good luck with the remainder of your training and I hope you find what it is you're looking for out of driving. CT will be a good stepping stone for where you want to take things, whether you stay with them for the long term or not.

mph1972 Thanks this.
  6. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    I do remember that! I thought long and hard and lined things up with Roehl and still thought that CT was a better fit for my situation. My trainer is great and runs a straight drive and with the areas that have traffic, I can see now that the auto will be a relief in dealing with heavy traffic situations. I too do not need high pay, the pay they offer is fine for my situation, because I am retired from the Navy and also have a disability coming in and my wife works, I could live on $400/week after taxes, but I am sure that in time I will be making more. I appreciate it my friend!

Micah

SHC Thanks this.
  7. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I had a 2002 Z06 back in 2008. My friend owns Speed Inc here in Chicago and we did a heads/cam/intake with kooks headers and a borla exhaust. Best was a 9.23 @ 137mph. I sold the car in 2009 for a Harley and a truck lol

Logan76 Thanks this.
  8. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    Wow! 9.23 is impressive. I have had four of them. My 2003 was my favorite. I did a complete suspension upgrade and coil overs are NOT overkill. :lol: I did a CAM, LTs, VARARAM and a few other things, not a high HP car (415 rwhp), but it ran great, handled amazingly and was fun until I was rear-ended and sandwiched. My 2002 (current ride) is just a mild car, LTs, BORLAs (BEST pipes out there) and some mild suspension upgrades. It gets great gas mileage and catches the eye. It is fun to have. Never had the balls to get on a bike of any kind, so hats off to ya.

9. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    So, my second week is coming to a close. DEDICATED runs is NOT for me!

I hope to be with an OTR trainer the next two to three weeks. I am really having fun and learning a lot. Meeting the other drivers has been fun also.

Overall I have been pleased with CT and my trainer (Lloyd) has been very cool and helpful.

More to follow.

10. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    Well, I finished up my second week with the dedicated trainer and moving on this week to my OTR trainer. Pretty excited and ready to get OTR. Was a bit frustrated at first, because they initially had me doing a third consecutive week with the DEDICATED trainer and I called and made my point. I did not want to continue training DEDICATED and have NO desire to be a DEDICATED driver and asked why the folks that just went through orientation (two of my buddies were in the class) are going directly too OTR and I was stuck on DEDICATED. The training dispatcher informed me that she had forgotten that I was in a DEDICATED day cab and worked things out to get me in an OTR sleeper truck and that really made me feel better. She really did not mean to put me in this situation, but hey, I asked the question and things worked out.

I will keep you all posted.

Micah
    "Chief"

11. mph1972

Sep 2, 2012
    Johnsonville, SC
    So, the first week of OTR training and had a blast. My trainer is really cool. I was suppose to end up in the day cab for a third week, but made some calls and got switched and though I am a non-smoker, my trainer is a smoker, but I am okay with it, I just need to get through the next couple of weeks and I will be on my own. I will tell you, that it is a bit nerve racking for me to know that I will be on my own in a couple of weeks and not have the trainer to give me tips on things I am doing and helping with finding places I am not familiar with. Sure will be working on my trip planning to ensure I can get to where I need to be on time. I goofed a little on my backing and got frustrated, but it is coming along. I will tell you that I am going to do my best to get parked for the night late afternoon, early evening. Maneuvering the spread axles in tight places can be a challenge. Another thing that I keep worrying about is that coming onto intersections and getting set up to make a turn. I try to ##### the area I am approaching early, but some areas I approached wasn't as easy as that. An intersection or turn hidden by trees or a behind a turn and when you approach it, things can be more challenging and I just deal with it the best I can and listen to my trainer. One other thing...I have learned the hard way about the turning radius on the MACK's with a sleeper cab. :) Came to a turn and pulled up to far and when I turned a sign was in the way and guess what...I had to back up about three feet to make the turn. No harm, no foul, but it was a humbling experience and I am getting better each day that passes.

Be safe out there,

Micah
    "Chief"

Sadiepete Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.