Starting Schneider Bulk

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by cncking2000, Nov 8, 2020.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Clean mirrors work better than dirty ones, especially at night. Don't be afraid to stop and clean your mirrors before maneuvering in a lot.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Something like this would be ideal the two fire safety cards in
    DCF5230C-0927-4C5F-8CD1-EAC4B1E6B2B8.jpeg

cncking2000 Thanks this.
  4. cncking2000

cncking2000 Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2018
    Training days 17-22 are completed.

Not much to add here for the most part. Thanksgiving was spent at the hotel in Jacksonville, and my OSR in Savannah sent a good meal via DoorDash. Today was our first HazMat load, which meant that I could not drive, and was a customer load and unload. Didn’t even leave Jacksonville. A lot of sitting in the truck.

I guess it is that time of year. I figured they would keep their trainers busy, but it has not been the case. Only 4 more days until I am sent to Savannah for SQT.

5. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    SQT is easy. 1st day you take a test on load planning, and do pump offs till the end of the day where you do it for a score. 2nd is just air offs all day till you score, and on the 3rd its troubleshooting. Like how would you go about clearing a line if your air compressor goes out in a offload type stuff. That's just how it went when I went through SQT in Houston.

Then after 30 days you get to do a pump/air off all over again but for your NALCO cert.

cncking2000 Thanks this.
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    the only thing to add to our resident TE's post is, once you know the "schneider way" and then adjust to what ultimately works best for you is to remember the "schneider way" for the check ride that comes periodically or that sometimes comes as "needed". its important to demonstrate on request (for whatever reason) the company method for accomplishing said task.

91B20H8, cncking2000 and gentleroger Thank this.
  7. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    Thanks for the advice. At this stage in my career, I don’t know what I would adjust to make things work better for me. The “Schneider Way” seems to be a pretty efficient, thorough, and safe means of accomplishing the task at hand. I have the routine down pretty well that it’s just one step to the next as I develop the muscle memory.

8. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    Training days 23 and 24 are over.

It has been slow for my local trainer. We did manage today to do a hazmat Nalco load, wearing the corrosive suit. The TE kept his watchful eye as I performed the whole thing from beginning to end including all paperwork, the Nalco hotline, and talking to the customer. He’s pretty convinced I’m ready for a truck.

I did experience an issue with unloading in that the lines would not clear no matter what I tried. The pump on the truck didn’t seem to pull any air through the bleeder at the external valve on the trailer. The TE stepped in at this point hooked the airline up to the bleeder and blew the lines clear however I’m not sure if that was the best thing to do or why the pump wouldn’t clear the lines like it has with any other unloading I’ve done so far. The load specifically stated no air unloading due to the fact that it had a foaming agent and turned into a bubble bath.

Anyone have any ideas what was going on? This was not a very viscous product it was actually quite water like.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  9. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    Days 25 - 28 are over.

I was doing a lot of Intermodal Tanker loads for the rest of the week. Jacksonville to Savannah and back again. Trainer wouldn’t let me do the easy backs anymore and challenged me to get into more difficult spots.

Had a rear tire blow out on a loaded trailer while en-route to Jacksonville and was able to handle it without issue. Super Singles suck.

Finished my time with the trainer Friday. Traveled to Savannah Saturday. Sunday has been a day of R&R. SQT starts next week. I feel like I am the only one here doing SQT. I’ll find out more about that tomorrow. The rest of the folks in my group are in Reserve or Houston.

I am looking forward to the next stage in training, testing. Hopefully by this time next week I will be plodding along in the far right lane where I belong.

Speed_Drums and gentleroger Thank this.
  10. cncking2000

Dec 5, 2018
    Day one of SQT is completed.

There are two people doing SQT this week in Savannah. Started out with a trip planning exercise, pretty basic stuff.

Performed a full pretrip, coupling, drive around Savannah, backing and uncoupling. Passed that with one remark. I took an off ramp at 15 when posted at 20. I just didn’t want to be going 10 under the posted limit in traffic, but it is their rules. Nothing felt unsettled or out of control however.

Tomorrow will be air unloading!

11. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    posted limits are maximums.......

91B20H8 and cncking2000 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.