starting to hate flyinj

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by fullthrotle, May 10, 2007.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2006
    Texas
    Wow, hate to hear that Flying J's are getting like this. It was always my truck stop of choice (especially since they didn't timestamp fuel tickets, just put the date ;) )

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RobHedrick

RobHedrick Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Conneautville, PA
    Yea, most of the Flying J's I stop at, are crap.

4. CommDriver

CommDriver Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't think they're getting that bad. Of course, there are a few locations like Tulsa that are not up to par. But it's still my truck stop of choice. This has a lot to do with what each drivers' personal preferences are. I don't spend a lot of time in truck stops no matter where I am.

What I'm interested in is being able to fuel without much of a wait and clean showers and bathrooms. At the company I work for, 50 trucks, they actually tried to put us on a fuel network that included places like Love's and Pilot a couple of years ago. The drivers rose up and wouldn't have it. Everybody seems to be satisfied enough with Flyn J to choose it over others.

My biggest complaint is the restaurant, Country Garden, or whatever it is. I don't ever eat there. But I very rarely eat in any restaurants that are in truck stops. I mostly eat out of my refrigerator, and if I want to get a good meal I'll stop somewhere within walking distance of someplace that does not cater to customers they can take for granted.

5. fullthrotle

fullthrotle Bobtail Member

May 10, 2007
    i wouldnt say all the js are bad by anymeans im just saying the one here in tulsa blows big time.

6. keelady

keelady Light Load Member

I haven't found too many Flying J's that were bad -- they are out there though. I find their showers to be generally clean and would rather eat at their restaurant than the others -- even though it is high priced. My co-driver signed up for their financial services and has a checking and savings account through them. He gets his advance put on his TCH card each week and transfers it to his card over the phone. With ComData, each time he got his cash advance it was a $5 charge, even if he fueled, the charge would be included on his settlement. With Flying J, it is only $3 and instead of getting the cash at a truck stop, it is on his debit card so he doesn't need to carry the cash. He gets points every time he uses his debit card and now has about 6 showers built up on it -- we can't use them up quick enough. There's no charge for him to use the ATM and the savings account earns around 5% -- much better than a regular bank. I'm going to do the same as soon as I get the chance, been running hard lately. It's much easier to save money when it never touches your hands. As for the other TS's, they tend to be luck of the draw -- some are clean and some are nasty, but we try not to spend too much time in them however they are.

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    Having run both the TCH fuel network and the Comdata network I honestly like most of the J showers better than just about all the ones I had to use on the Comdata network. TA, Loves, Pilot,etc etc.

However it really cracks me up when my non-trucking friends say that the J restaurant food is the best they can find anywhere. To me most of the J food tastes like a chunk of cardboard. A few of the menu items are OK. but most are not.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Flying J charges 6.50 for a shower in pts or cash the other biggies charge 9.

I got fuel at a J thursday and got two showers and two cups of drinks for buying 224 gallons at a shot, that has never occurred anywhere else, no one else of the biggies gives coffee with a fuel purchase anymore except for possibly Loves. Kwik Trip/Star is my favorite in the upper mid-west, but they are few and far between that actually sell fuel and have showers.

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

IF you have NO showers and NO drinks on your card you'll get two showers and two drinks the next time you fuel. If you have even one drink you'll just get one shower and one drink.

10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Okay Brickman, nice to know. I really had no idea Flying J worked that way, I don't fuel until necessary and that one is on the preferred list I thought it was because of volume. I can get low sulfur fuel there and this truck runs better on that than ULSD. Most of the preferreds are TAs, not even one Pilot on the list or Loves for that matter. The list is missing way too many routes to be of much use and doubles up on certain roads like I-90 in IL

11. truckinpa16

truckinpa16 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2007
    rochester ny
    the one in pembroke ny is bad too you wait two hours to pay 500 bux in fuel while the people from the theme park up the road argue in line over a 2 dollar bottle of pop its plain out dumb

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.