starting to hate flyinj

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by fullthrotle, May 10, 2007.

1. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    I know you come through here sometimes! But going to the one on the east side is definitely worth the detour if you need a J!
    Have you been to the Husky just west of Edmonton on the Yellowhead? There is also a PetroCanada truckstop next door too. Havent had to use their real facilities, but quite like both of them for the regular things a P&D driver needs during the day!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Spent the night year ago July at the Husky in Edmonton. Ate there twice before.

Spent the night at Husky and ate there in Grande Prairie.

Went to Grande Prairie one time through Sask to Yellowknife.
    One time from Idaho to BC through the park Jasper National, The Icefields Parkway run through the middle in April this year. Was cloudy and snowy so no good pictures.

Came back and made a stop at the Worlds Largest Mall. You know where it located. Most of my fellow americans will claim it is Minnesota.

I was impressed....
    Spent 3 hours there. Did not wander to far away from my entrance.
    Watched the seal show. Saw the water slide, the motel, the hockey rink, the Santa Maria.

4. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Wow, you sure have made the most of your trips through this part of the world! The Icefields Parkway is one of my favourite motorcycle routes! Have ridden it many times in the snow (I love my electric jacket!).
    The Mall is pretty amazing, with everything under the same roof. Interesting that the 2 'largest' malls are both located in some icy hellhole on a prairie!

5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I cross the border so much, I usually have no problems. Been in lots of the provinces except Manitoba, Northwest Territories, NewFoundland.

I had planned when working as an accountant to retire when 65, buy RV and see the country.

Realized one day, that with the stress level involved, hours worked, I would never live to retire. Quit management job, went into trucking, and other various endeavors.

Now I deliver RV's and get paid to see the world. The sun shines in my world office now.

6. Texasgordo

Texasgordo Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2007
    Gonzales, Texas
    i dont drive otr but one nasty flying j is in lancaster tx on the south side of dallas. i think its on I-20 between I-35E & I-45 (exit 472??).Tight fit in the parking lot plus lots of trash--nasty moldy showers.nice flying js in laredo tx, edindurg tx, and baytown tx..might be because they're fairly new but i've always had good service at all of em. nice cashiers and waitresses and clean showers and parking lots.

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Yeah, the Dallas J is quite dandy. Spent the day waiting for a load many years ago, and was entertained by watching the lizards go truck to truck and listened to them on the radio.

Many of the franchise J's are real disgusting.

8. candab

candab Light Load Member

Aug 5, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    How can the help at a truck stop be hostile to truckers? I just don't get it, but I understand the sentiment.

That being said and the fact that I've only been driving for a couple months, I've seen good J's and bad. The sad thing is that the J's with the best help at the counter typically have the most disgusting showers. When you can't pull apart the shower curtain because of the mildew, it's time to spray down some acid!

I like the J in Anthony, TX (El Paso west) because there always seems to be parking, and for a newbie like me, that's a Godsend (I *hate* trying to back into some of those spots with 6 inches on either side). On the other hand the J in Eloy, AZ has freaking counter people who speak Spanish to each other in front of the customers. Sorry, muchachas, this is America. Speak English!!

9. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

This happens ALL the time at a lot of businesses. I get sick of it.

10. myminpins

myminpins Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Dartmouth, NS, Canada
    Try travelling through Quebec and northern New Brunswick ALL THE TIME!! :biggrin_25516: EVERYONE speaks French in front of you and to you and thinks nothing of it. Sometimes we can't even find anyone who speaks English. It's so STUPID!!!! English is the second language of the WORLD - speak English, would you?

And gotta love the warning construction signs in Quebec - only in French. Have no freaking clue what they mean most of the time :biggrin_25510:

11. Pur48Ted

Pur48Ted Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Canadian law says that all road signage MUST be in English AND French, unless something changed. Did you read the fine-print?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.