Starting with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by tadollahite, Jan 13, 2011.

1. idfive

idfive Bobtail Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Boise, Idaho
    Hello all,
    I start trucking school at CWI (College of Western Idaho) the 24th of Jan. I am hoping to finish in 9 weeks and get hired out. I already have 2 pre-hires, one for May Trucking and one for Swift Trucking. Any advice which is better? I have also applied for Gordon and Werner, no word back from those 2 yet but I submitted the app on Friday so I probably wont hear anything till next week.
    Any words of advice for a new guy would be greatly appreciated.. Retired from the Air Force and am looking forward to getting my new career started.
    Take care all, be safe and hope to see you on the road.

AFGuy:Plane:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tadollahite

tadollahite Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Antelope Ca.
    Hey Yatista Thanks I got a bunch of paper work from Gordon my hiring paper work and my Hzm open book test it took all day to fill it out and then i went back to my school and they let me drive one of there trucks for about 1 1/2 just so i'am ready for my road test (Western Truck School West Sacarmento Ca.) let's hope that work lol. Thanks Tim:Trailer:

4. tadollahite

tadollahite Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Antelope Ca.
    Well i when down to Modesto Ca. had my wife and kid's drive down last night stayed at the Best Western i got up and went to my to orientation. I did a hole much more paper work would think i was buying a new house lol i did my driving test that was short and sweet just went around the block one time and back to the yard. Then they give us a lunch break after lunch i got call from my trainner he said he was in Weed Ca. and was on his way to Portland Or. so now i need to find a ride home so call my wife and she drove back down to Modesto to pick me up. Now i will be go out on tues or wed of next week i hope. My trainner is on his way home to Idaho to do some home time.

5. So Cali

So Cali Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Fontana, Ca
    Hey tadollahite, I'm leaning towards GTI. Did you have to wait long to get a trainer? Did they give you a pee or a hair drug test?

6. Erick chapel

Erick chapel Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Fontana CA
    Hey man, good luck, and by the way watch out for deer! And forget about the beer! try some soda, or water or something...

7. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York
    Starting out, I pulled dry vans, not TC. I often had weeks (Sunday thru Saturday) over 3000 Miles. That being said, payroll is based on delivered freight and closes on Saturday. If you leave wednesday with a 2500 mile run that delivers on sunday, you will probably have a good week for miles and a small check. The money shows up a week later.

GTI is buying 100's of new Cascadia's, the older trucks are being sold, so the odds are you will start with a Columbia with an APU or a Cascadia. The older Columbia's with the cummins not so much. Typically, the dedicated runs, regional fleets, and local driving will get you less miles and less money.

As for hometime, GTI has a written policy about hometime. They suggest 13 days out for 2 days off. Add 6 days to the run for 1 more day off. 31 days or more out gets you 5 days off, the most you can accrue. I was always home on time or no more than 24 hours late, and stayed out 31 days. Getting you home usually means some short trips or relays to meet your schedule. Short trips mean less $$. The less often you go home, the more $$ you will make.

Kevin Cole, sailnaked and bonbonsron Thank this.
  8. SAPDOG61

SAPDOG61 Bobtail Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Coarsegold Ca
    Tadollahite, I start orientation in a week or two. I live in Coarsegold Ca and thought I would be training in Modesto as you did but my recruiter told me it would be in Washington. My orientation is only 4 days as a refresher because I hav'nt been driving for a couple yrs

any input would help
    Thanks Jeff

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.