Starting with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by tonkatruck, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tonkatruck

tonkatruck Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    at indy they now have another dispatcher so there is 2 of them and a new term. manager and there is some shifting of planners and dispatches with Indy and GreenBay. and then as some know after 7 pm you then go to Washington, and on the weekend at differnt times you deal with other term. I think they need to just dispatch and plan from India like the rest of the word.. it would alot easier on the drivers thats for sure...,
    thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers ( I do thank you) I did give the ok but requested them to leave the feeding tube, he is still alive but doing everything on his own. the bleeding in the brain has stoped and looks like it is healing on its own. They have know idea of the damage done to the brain from the fall, until or if he will wake up..
    thx gang stay safe
    Tonk

CornerCarver and difference-maker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ge23ll

ge23ll Light Load Member

May 14, 2009
    weimar, ca
    do gordons trucks have apu's?

4. nicnat2

nicnat2 Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    All the 3000 series Columbias do and they are replacing the old trucks with Cascadias that have APU's

5. sal

sal Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2007
    sacramento Ca
    I've been told my truck is going to be traded in ( not sure when but it was on the mechanics info. at a PM being done In Green Bay). I just hope that the truck i'll end up with has an APU. With out one makes it real hard to get any decent rest in this heat. ...Anyone have an idea how long it takes once a truck is on the list to be traded?

6. tonkatruck

tonkatruck Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    Hello everyone... This will give you an insite as to what I have been putting up with, with Gordon, I have not been driving for about 4 weeks. keep this in mind... I get a phone call from the night dispatch last week saying " we have you in Seymour In. and want to know when am I going to deliver the load " I am in columbus ohio... next the load she said I had was delivered 2 weeks before..... pay check came..I was at a delivery for 15 hours every hour I sent in a mac for detion.. Did not get payed anything for that.. they said we are to call on the phone not the mac... next did not pay for the tolls in Ok. 72.00 said they did not see it on the paper work ... I called had P.O. and it was on the trip sheet.." oh yeah I see that "" next just got a Letter from them and they want me to call them by 01/2009 ..... wow I need to go back 1 year before I was hired... and it was mail to Columbus, In. not Columbus Ohio.. and had a zip code from texas on it... and it took 2 weeks to get to me..

this is the crap I put up with them... The Drivers are nice folks but, Gordon in my little head, need some REAL work on Communication... wow do they../ So, with all the things I see going on inside I know what they are going to do., D,A,C, this is the only thing they have left.. so I welcome it ......this will be a fun fight... I have proof of everthing I have said and more.

There best bet now is to drop it !!!! HEAR ME CLEAR GORDON, DROP IT, I forgive you for what you have done to me and my family

thanks everyone out there please be safe.

Tonka

mathematrucker Thanks this.
  7. nicnat2

nicnat2 Medium Load Member

Oct 26, 2008
    sin city
    Oh boy Tonka you found out their secret....I got tired of the B.S. they kept handing out to me...I left in Dec 09 after I was on my 3 days off, that I put in for 1 month prior...They kept calling my cell phone while I was at Disneyland with my 4 yr old..I listened to the messages and they were trying to get me to come back early,not gonna happen.When I finally got back to the R.C. yard, I had a run to Montana that was due less then 2 days time...OMG what are they doing..1300 + miles...Hello!!! Our trucks only go 60! It was for Staples and had 2 drops in 2 different cities..I declined it and they said that the "safety dept" said it was do able...I said well you can tell safety to come drive my truck up there because I quit!...The funny thing is that it was a Sunday and my DM was off.I went home and on thursday he called to see if I was done with my time off!..lol I told him that I quit and everything was on my Qualcom...Those idiots never told him that I quit and turned my keys into the shop....Great communication! My truck had 700,000 miles on it and I didn't want the overweight Cascadia...I've heard horror stories about how heavy they are and anyone whose ever been up at Purina in Denver can tell you that scaling out at 79900 was pretty common,without a full tank of fuel. The cascadias would be way overweight...

8. EagleAce

EagleAce Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    :biggrin_25513:I hope my truck doesn't get traded anytime soon! I don't think it will since it has an APU. From what I've heard just about all of the fleet will have APUs later in the year, so there's a good chance you'll get one. when I started, only a third of the fleet had them and someone had to croak or get canned in order for one to become available, and then they went to 'senior' drivers.

as far as which trucks are getting 'the boot', I've been told it's the oldest of the Detroits w/out APUs (2600-series and up) Most of the Cummins trucks are staying. my last truck (2452) is still going strong w/ close to a million miles! :biggrin_2556:

I agree Tonka, they lack on communication in areas- one weekend DM somehow figured I had a full drive day when in fact I only had 8 hrs- I said "i'm looking right at Line 1 on my recap and it says 8" so they had me repower it when I told 'em I'd be out of hours in the SF Bay Area w/ no place to park.

9. Yatista

Yatista Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Upstate New York

The latest group of new cascadias has been reconfigured to overcome the heavy steer axle problems that the 1st group experienced. Fuel capacity has been reduced to 200 gal. with the tanks carried futher aft. This adds weight to the drive axles so they now come with aluminum wheels on all axles. Total potetial weight savings of nearly 1300 pounds.

Regarding preplans and issues of limited HOS. The preplan is asking a question, "are you able to pickup and deliver safe and legal", and you are expected to answer it honestly. That may mean you may have to be inconvenienced by driving when you would rather sleep, taking a 10 hour break that is only 10 hours, or driving to areas/locations that you don't like. If you don't have the hours you are expected to let dispatch know what you can do with what you have available, where you will be, so that they can arrange a relay or reschedule the appointment.

Communication seems to be a problem, but, please consider this. You are the DM and take over for the earlier shift. There are at least 100 conversations going on with 100 drivers when you sit down. How much do you really know about each one? You, the driver, are not an island, you are a grain of sand on the beach and you need to remind the duty DM of your needs, requirements, and available HOS.

Torque2Haul Thanks this.
  10. EagleAce

EagleAce Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't mind doing this if I know I can get to safe and legal place to park afterwards.

they're usually good at getting a relay arranged when they and/or I know I can't deliver on-time.

I have no idea HOW they can keep up with all that! It just blows my mind. I had a chance to observe Ops at the Modesto office when i was doing light-duty work while recovering from an ankle injury last year, so I have the utmost respect for the DMs and planners.

11. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Just now read every single post in this whole saga of a thread. First of all, thank you very much Tonka for launching this great blog of your experiences as a newbie at Gordon! I sincerely hope your situation has improved since your last post, which, as in all your posts, gave an honest reflection of what you were experiencing at the time.

Pretty much everyone else's posts were interesting and informative, too. This just might rank as my favorite thread of all time in this forum! It has served as a really useful reminder to me, of the sort of thing you inevitably encounter driving OTR for a big company.

After being over at Marten the past ten years and - disgusted with their forced per diem nonsense - leaving in early June when my vacation pay accrued, I am feeling really, really cautious about returning to OTR at all, anywhere. The lack of any per diem at Gordon (yet) is a major plus if you ask me, but then, the sheer size of a company is starting to look like maybe the most important thing of all to consider.

bluv37 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.