Starting with Gordon

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by tonkatruck, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Luman

Luman Bobtail Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    It would seem that much has changed with Gordon since I was with them. Back then it was just the 11 western. Actually 7 western would be more accurate. The only trucks heading east then where teams hauling icecream for the most part, and the heavy haul going up into Canada. It's a whole different animal now. A good mid sized otr company seems to have gone the way of the dodo sadly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. EagleAce

EagleAce Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    things change with every company. just in recent years we expanded into the midwest. the majority of my runs are in the western region; I haven't been back to the midwest since June. we're still a good mid-sized otr company. currently we have about 1500 trucks; not sure about trailers, as we got alot of new ones and the old E's are slowly getting the boot.

hey Tonka, how are things with your dad?

4. CriticalMass

CriticalMass Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2010
    Las Vegas, NV
    Tonkatruck, Sorry to hear of the troubles you have had. A lot of the advice you have been given has been good. My only advice is to do what you can to learn the "quirks" that the dispatch system operates under. I have been at GTI for a bit over a year and a half and run in the TC fleet. I have driven for over 30 years (different companies) and the learning curve is always the same. It took me a little while, but I get the runs and miles I want. I HAVE worked for worse companies... Best of luck to you.

5. wasteman

wasteman Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2010
    prescott az
    How much of the time do you have to unload the truck yourself, or do they have people to do it for you?

6. EagleAce

EagleAce Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    most I've ever done is help restack a pallet of bottled water that tipped. other than that, I've just installed and removed load straps/locks. only stores we assist at are Staples. the majority of my loads are drop/hooks, and live, where the customer loads/unloads me themselves. last I heard the company was about 75% drop/hook

wasteman Thanks this.
  7. tonkatruck

tonkatruck Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio
    hey gang I hope you all are doing really good !!!:biggrin_25514:
    just a quick note as not to leave all the folks that have followed and have posted, man thank you all...

I am working here local as a machinist (what I use to do before trucking ).. I miss the road so very much. maybe one day I'll be out there with ya.

I had to make a choice that no one should EVER make, and we burried my father about 2 weeks after that. thanks for worring..

but that is part of life huh? and anyone out on the road should be prepared to do so, weather it be life , health, tax, births ect. and if anyone can not comprehend the troubles you are in or are having, then, do not take it out on them, just keep your head drive safe and do what you have to do to take care of it. after all they are just people that do not have any Idea of what it is like out driving and they are so stuck up in life that it is all about THEM.

anyway. May God keep you all safe, and hope you all stay very safe. geese I miss driving lolol
    Tonk:biggrin_25514::biggrin_25514:

8. azbigdogtrucker

azbigdogtrucker Bobtail Member

May 26, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    May your father rest in peace. I skimmed thru this post you started and If Im correct you were involved in an accident .. Poss with Roehl Truck.. again I was not able to find details but sounds like that may have forced you from Gordon.. I am sorry to hear this didnt work out for you but It is proably best for you. I think I will be moving to Gordon in January. I have been with Crete for 2 years now. It would be a great company to drive for but I live in Phoenix..What I mean to say is we have no freight going there to speak of and It is usually 10-14 days after requested to get home and It has been like that since day one. I have to kinda laugh a little about your 2-4 day delays. They should have got you straight home for your father tho. Well good Luck

tonkatruck Thanks this.
  9. tonkatruck

tonkatruck Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2009
    columbus, Ohio

No I was driving a bob tail and an driver was complaining that I was doing 50 in a 55 and passed me and hit the car in front of me and did alot a damage to him and acouple other cars I was able to get slowed down and around, I was fine

I was to get home time after 14 day's out and they could not get me home, just to Indy, I live in columbus then I had a family issue that need me I told them that and 3 day's later they still could not get me home and told me that indy was to far to go home (keep in mind I start alot from columbus to Indy empty to start my time out, and have come home from as far as Chicago ).. and I had 4-5 dispatchers that where not talking to each other during those 3 day's , that was what the final straw was..

and after I was home a week later they wanted to know when I was going to make my drop in Indy, a week after I had made the drop and after I got paid for it... WTF, lolol. they had no Idea that the truck was sitting in the indy yard and I was home for 7 day's.. then I get a letter dated 01/16/08 saying I need to call dispatch and tell them when I will be ready to work. 2 years before I was hired...

I miss driving so much, Wish you the best, they just do not talk to each other so I would say, Mac 16 them to hell Keep all you macs from them you can , mac them 3-5 times a day and at night, you will have to do the work when it comes to communication !!!!!!

don't take any toll's through oklahoma, you may or may not get your money back, keep all reciepts and make a photo copy and send in the photo copy., (little papers get lost on there end.

anyway Good luck the drivers at Gordon are Great people !!! you can trust them, oh " I keep forgetting to say " Martin Drivers " I came across a few and by god they are good people ask and they do help !!!!

out, Tonka

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.