Starting with Schneider bulk

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Juanthehumanoid, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Juanthehumanoid

Juanthehumanoid Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Houston Tx
    From what I understand, bulk and van are two different beasts. More money in bulk, more active, and more responsibility outside of being just a regular driver. It's nothing too hard, I believe you could do it. You would be staying at the courtyard by Marriott. Good hotel, continental breakfast every mornng. Subway for lunch, order the footlong and eat half for Lunch and half for dinner. Best way to save money by not spending money, they'll provide transportation too and from work. Bring some steel toes that are about 6 inches or longer from sole to end of boot, less you want 35 dollars deducted. In all honesty, do bulk. I wouldn't consider dry van at all, but that's just me. Also, I was jobless for near 6 months trying to get my class B cdl, and eventually when that failed I tried for my class A cdl, and here I am. This Friday is my first check/ direct deposit in a long time. You'll be okay. Handle your business and you'll be able to take care and provide for your loved ones. Sacrifice a little so you can get settled in. Told myself for the longest i wasn't gonna walk away/quit truck driving and that I wasn't gonna walk away and quit Schneider when I failed my physical. Glad I am at where I'm at today, I look forward to the future.

TaterFox Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TaterFox

TaterFox Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Ashland City, TN
    This is truly an inspiration. I think the only thing I would dread out of everything now is the good ol' bus ride from Alabama to Houston, haha.

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I've never driven for Big Orange but I spent a lot of years driving tankers.
    One thing I noticed...when a driver switches from dry van or flatbed or even reefer and goes on tankers he very seldom ever goes back.
    There are some high-dollar tanker jobs out there and some good working conditions to go along with the big bucks.

Juanthehumanoid and TaterFox Thank this.
  5. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Ok where to start....I passed my road test and haz mat cert test at Schneider. I have a few bad habits...well bad In the eyes of Schneider which got me 16 points taken off. I nailed the backing test so to me that makes up for some of it. The yard is big enough to straight back in the hole but I went beyond the required test and did a 45 with no pull up.

However the day was not perfect. Houston traffic has claimed another victim...my car. On the way to the training center I had a guy turn into me and push me off the road. He did stop and ask if I was ok and the reason he hit me was due to the fact I was in his blind spot...with a black car....before sunrise.

He however was very nice. We exchanged info but he said if I don't report it he will pay for it. Ok. After I was done testing I went to 2 different body shops and the cheapest repair cost came to $529.98. He told me where to meet him and he handed me exact cash and I signed a paper saying he is no longer liable for the accident.

All in all it was a fun day. Due to the holidays I have off till Tuesday. Then the real world training begins.

Juanthehumanoid Thanks this.
  6. Juanthehumanoid

Jun 23, 2017
    Houston Tx
    Well it's day 11 today. I don't think I wrote about day 10. Day 10 was a drive around the city streets for a good 1 hour. It was cool, nothing too crazy but definetly some interesting streets that a 4 wheeler could handle without second thought. Lol we did straight backing and 45 degree backing because we had extra time. That was pretty much it. Met the backing guru today, older guy, but man does he make life easy for backing lol. Thank the higher power he's around

TaterFox Thanks this.
  7. Juanthehumanoid

Jun 23, 2017
    Houston Tx
    Day 11. Today was a good day, we started off with a coupling and pretrip, then drove 30minutes each. Hardest route so far, but still doable. After wards we uncoupled and did a post trip. Rest of the day was spent doing 45 degree angle backing. It was okay, I sure as heck ain't a natural backer lmao

scythe08, newbietrucker91 and TaterFox Thank this.
  8. newbietrucker91

newbietrucker91 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Texas
    Got my training info today. Will be out with a local Houston trainer for 5 days starting Tuesday then back for 4 days to test out.

Juanthehumanoid and scythe08 Thank this.
  9. Juanthehumanoid

Jun 23, 2017
    Houston Tx
    Today was day 12. Today was a great day. One of the best. We had a little graduation ceremony. Of my class of 8, 7 of us made it. One was given an automatic midway, one more was given an automatic afterwards. The rest of us got good ole 10 speeds. Which is great. The day started out with a test. I went did my backing of the tractor to couple and pretrip. Headed out and took my test. Nervous but it was my best day driving thus far, only got docked 4 points. Felt great and drove smooth man, felt proud of myself to have learned. Thank you Schneider team. I recieved my duffle bag with a chemical suit and a fire proof suit. Feels good man, feels good.

91B20H8, TBDHUE, Gin86 and 2 others Thank this.
  10. jlawson1979

jlawson1979 Light Load Member

Jul 10, 2012
    Good job man!!!. Stay focused.

Juanthehumanoid Thanks this.
  11. Juanthehumanoid

Jun 23, 2017
    Houston Tx
    Thanks man, will do!

jlawson1979 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.