State Highway Worker

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by cman87, Mar 1, 2021.

1. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Anybody ever work for their states highway department?

Had an interview for mine. Liked what I heard except for the occasional on-call responses.

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I worked for Nebraska and it wasn't bad , lots of political bs tho.

homeskillet and 4mer trucker Thank this.
  4. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    Yeap. Worked for itd (idaho) for 3 years. Hated it. Low pay and lazy co workers plus more politics than you can handle. Which is why I left. I couldn't take it anymore. Like working with a spoiled 3 year old. Sucked!

bzinger Thanks this.
  5. cman87

cman87 Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2016
    Not something you'd want to do long term though?

The job duties seem rather uninteresting tbh

What kind of political stuff?

bzinger Thanks this.
  6. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    I think the only reason people work for them is the benefits. If you stick it out enough years they have a good retirement plan I’ve heard. Had a guy try to get me on with them but I never did. Just going by what he told me.

Doealex Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    It was everything shooter just said .

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i tried at 4 different state DOT locations over the years. i had all the qualifications they required, and the best background check, and driving record.

always got to the 2nd interview.

but never hired.

i think it has to do with "who you know" not "what you know" up here in "unionville"........

and i simply DO NOT KISS BUTT, to get anything I WANT.

but up here, the pay is not the best, but the health benefits and retirement are what many go for. plus the overtime is out of the stratosphere, when the snows are coming, and highway sweeping. what they do here is, you work first the over time hours, when finished, you go to your regular job duties.

like for instance, highway sweeping is done about 11 PM nightly. so you do that first (the overtime hours), then at maybe 8 AM, go to your DOT location and start your regular daily work.....

snow plowing here is, you don't stop until the snow stops, you sleep over the steering wheel, eat when you can, go to the toilet when you can, but you do not stop until the snow stops, or when the supervisor tells you to put the plow away.....which can be as little as 10 hours, or 4 days......so bring extra clothing.

Speed_Drums, Doealex and bzinger Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    My older brother retired from Cal-Trans after almost thirty years. They have a great retirement program. He spent most of his working time sitting in a little dump truck or on a loader of some kind. He didn't strain himself. Ever. Easy work.
    I don't know how other states do it but Cal-Trans has contractors that do all the heavy jobs and major construction. That leaves the gravy stuff for the state employees.

bzinger Thanks this.
  10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Worked for the city for a minute and tried to get on with the state many decades ago but that highways whine was calling.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. bzinger

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I worked for the state and county hwy depts where I live ...the state was brief and county was 4 years and ill sum it up this way .
    Yeah both were good jobs but if you are a self starter that takes initiative , takes pride in equipment and a job well done and hates being babysat you will be very unhappy.
    I was a union steward with county and they protected the lazy don't give a #### types not those that busted hump .
    I got fed up one day and quit ...no regrets .

Texas_hwy_287, Dennixx and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.