Static from hid's and beacons

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by starmac, May 7, 2019.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Beacons will send a lot of static threw my radio, even on a truck I meet sometimes. My hid off road lights will also throw a bunch of static, I have to turn the rf gain way down when running my lights. The ones on the hood of the kw does not bother it so bad, but the ones on the mirrors do, they are the same brand lights.
    Different brand, but the ones on the hood of my freightliner bothers the radio bad, anything plugged into the cigarette lighter in it makes the radio pickup the fan motor noises too.
    Is there any work around this, or something I just have to live with?
    Radios in both are just plain cobra 29 classics, francis antaneas

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Choose between fancy lights and quiet receive? A buddy of mine had that issue and he replaced the lights to eliminate the noise.

4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Two things, one is why do you have off road lights on a truck?

You go off road?

the other is these are either cheap lights or they are early ones where they are not quiet to begin with - obviously.

There isn't much to be done by the way, the harmonics from the lights are the problem.

You could try a good filter or changing coax but I doubt that would work.

5. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    You would be surprised at the blinding lights these moronic drivers are putting on the trucks, I especially like the big 3 foot bar led pos they install under the bumper but it illuminates light straight ahead or up, doesnt help them see the road, just for looks, most these attention getting fools are from Miami or Texas, I just hit my high beams and return the favor, childish I know.

6. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Be surprised?

************** I get blinded every morning by these idiots.

I saw a few on top of the cab and several mounted at or above headlight level.

I know the carrier enforcement cops will pull a truck over and ticket them with these lights.

I have rear lights on the rack on my beater pickup, they are extremely bright, like those hid lights used for construction. I used them if I have to deal with a breakdown off road or need to light something up. They draw about 60 amps to give you an idea how bright they are.

The other morning I am on us 23 coming out of Toledo going home. There is a yahoo in a truck about a half mile behind me, I'm taking my time, I am tired, pissed off at everything and want to get my ********* home. He comes up on me - he is doing 75 and am doing 70 - after three miles of him being so close I can read Freigtline on the badge, he hits his light bars to forever me to move out of his way. I told him on the cb be to move over and pass me but I assume his radio was off. He would not go into the left lane to pass so after the third ******* time hitting his brights and his light bar, I turned on the sun. I know he was blinded and slammed on the brakes because he backed way off fast.

I WOULD NOT have done that if anyone else was around but come on, pass me right or live with it.

I know he got the message, he slowed down and kept off my ***********. He came off the same ramp as I did, i was going to pilot to fuel up my three diesel tanks for the compressor and other equipment so I pulled into the commercial lanes and he did too, I was waiting for him to start something I wasn't in the mood to deal with anyone at that point but he kept his distance and ran into the place after I got done and was driving away.

slim6596 and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  7. wolverine11

wolverine11 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Did it say Doral, Miami or Laredo on the door of his 2000 Freightliner held together with duct tape?

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  8. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
  9. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    # 1 UH, cuz that is how we see.
    #2, well The 6 hids on one truck are austrailian and costs over 400 bucks a piece, so not what I would call cheap, the beacon is an led and price wise sure wasn't cheap either,
    The hid's on my log truck are the cheapies sold at what used o be shucks, probably chinese, and I just run 2 on it.
    On my road truck, I have two mounted on the hood on pete headlight brackets, one on top of each mirror, and two above the sleeper on the headache rack, I usually have an led light bar on the bumper, but just put a new bumper on and have not installed it yet, don't really need it this time of year.
    I rarely run more than 4 of the hid's at a time, depending on conditions which ones.
    I also run landing lights for my high beams, but rarely use them.

I have the good coax. My uhf radio does not get the static, like the cb's do, but if I have my rf turned up to hear at a distance and turn on the big lights it gives a deafening amount of static till I can turn the rf down.

10. Ridgeline

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    The price of the lights have nothing to do with the quality of the design, when they are designed on the cheap, they spit out harmonics.

11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I do knot know anything about the harmonics, but my son had the dealership for these lights, so I got mine at his cost, retail was closer to 600 a piece, he sold close to 50,000 dollars worth of them in a year, because they work better than nearly all other lights, many truckers replaced their already expensive lights with them. They may be cheap in a way, but they make it daylight and hold up to the beating they take.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.