Statutes That Should Be Nationwide

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Long FLD, Feb 2, 2023.

1. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    You are the reason some state have written the keep right laws as “Keep right except to pass”

I get the argument you’re putting up & if you are actively passing slower traffic, i have no issues. If you are camping in the left lane while not passing a sole & i have to pass you on the right…you are going to think i’m more of an ####### than i think you are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rch10007

rch10007 Medium Load Member

May 26, 2007
    Madison, AL
    Imagine if we taught children accountability and indivdual responsibility throughout their school experience so they didn't need to be micromanaged as human beings once adults...

4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Colorado keep right laws apply to roads over 65 mph. So on I-270, where it's a 55 mph limit, I stay in the left lane. If I use the right lane and try to pass when it's clear, I usually end up getting stuck in the right lane and coming to an almost complete stop because the entry and exit ramp are shared and short on some exits. I do the same thing on I-70 going east, where it's 55 mph, until I get past the traffic going to I-225. When it hits 65, I move over and keep right except to pass. I don't get mad when people pass on the right, I don't even see why it's a thing to be mad about.

But this highlights a problem we have with how our laws are written from state to state, and how people take them for granted and misinterpret them to apply everywhere else. Even with a statute defining a slow moving vehicle in plain English, people don't want to believe it. In Columbus, OH it's illegal to do a U-turn unless a sign says it's allowed, which is the opposite of pretty much everywhere else in the US.

Meanwhile, the people who tend to get bent out of shape over this stuff are the ones who don't want to follow a law that's as simple as a speed limit.

5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Speed limit is 70
    I'm doing 70

if you pass me. Then you need to slow down. Cuz you're speeding. And speeding is what gets tickets.

I'm certainly not going to be the one bouncing from lane to lane for slow people and your behavior.

6. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    Camping gets tickets too.

You sound like you drive to have a who’s slong is bigger contest. I on the other hand have a King me type of attitude. Many years ago a Cowan driver camped in the center lane of 295 south from Northampton till 130 breaks off. He ran the last 13 miles of 295 stuck in the left lane. By the time he got to where it opens up for the DelMemBer he had people cutting him off, swerving at him, & brake checking ever loving crap out of him. Cars & trucks, i mean everybody was made at him. Poor fella lmao

RockinChair Thanks this.
  7. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I don't know. I just pay attention to the basic ones. All other regs, it's too much to commit to memory. Many ain't necessary enough to commit to memory. Committing useless information to your mind won't do anything but create the potential for stress and empty calorie discussion.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are some states that require slower traffic on the interstates to get out of the left lane even if the overtaking vehicle is exceeding the posted speed limit. Florida is one of them. From Landline mag:
    "Since 2014, Florida law prohibits travelers from driving too slow in the left lane of a multilane highway if they “reasonably should know” they are begin overtaken by another vehicle. Drivers traveling the speed limit also are required to yield to vehicles exceeding the posted speed limit."
    I don't get down that way much so I don't know if there is any enforcement on it.

snowwy and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. FearTheCorn

FearTheCorn Medium Load Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Omaha
    I think the thought of more laws is awesome. Gives me a boner. Please daddy law me harder.

RockinChair Thanks this.
  10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Let me fix this for you. I would rather just have the state with the least amount of people.

11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Holy smokes @Long FLD , I'd have never guessed that this thread was going to be so contentious, or morph into driving habits on a freeway. I guess many have not experienced the roads with which your thread was intended, and the law was written for.

D.Tibbitt, Siinman, Hammer166 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.