Stay Away!

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by LaPurr, Mar 30, 2007.

1. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    A small update of sorts about USX..

The Century Classes have given way to the Cascadias, seems to be a decent truck, but for some reason, when I am in one, I think of the very cheap and junkey Columbia. Maybe its just my perception..

They are no longer buying Volvos. Volvos having gained a larger share of the market are becoming a but more expensive to purchase/lease. The cost basis no longer works for USX, so they did not resign the contract with Volvo.

They are now buying the International Prostars. The opinions of these trucks seems to be about 50/50. Either you love them, or hate them. Its a 13 letter poo spreader, what else is there to say?

They are still buying the KenWorthless's but the newer T660? models. Drivers love the new headlights, but they still hate the ride, lack of comfort or space or storage. With the big dash mounted camera system, and GPS powered Nav/qualcom system, theres not much room left on the dash.]

They are still buying the Peterpuffers too, same complaints as the T660 really. Bad ride, no space/storage. Bigger dash area, so a bit more space there. More problems with water leaks in the windshield and front cowl area. Moonroof leaks too. leaks leading to shorts in the electrical systems. Seems like a very poorly built Pete, but I wouldnt expect anything less out of Pete/KW.

USX also lost alot of their FEDEx accounts. Probly due more to the economy, than the drivers, althou I am sure the drivers did have some to do with it.

USX went into a company wide hiring/wage freeze starting in November. They came out of it for 2 weeks in january, and supposed to be back to full hiring driver platform in early febuary. This will probly go on until they refill all the seats from drivers quitting the previous 3 months.

They were in talks with Averitt back in 2007 about trying to buy them out. I wonder if the talks are still going on?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    I see mentioned here that as a driver you like to live in a low pressure world with a low pressure life.
    I can't agree more. I work for a small Company with no tracking gadgets and such, I find trucking to be VERY low pressure compared to my last few jobs. I am so glad that I never got wrapped up into the mega Trucking Co.s

4. kwray

kwray Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    As far as the automated mechanical transmissions go, I personally have no use for them. And, yes, I have operated them and I am well versed in their operation. I will take my underpowered KW with its deep reduction 15 spd any day of the week in any kind of traffic over the newer volvos my company has with a cummins that runs like a raped ape mated to an Eaton Ultra Shift. Ever hear the expression "a well broke horse is a pleasure to ride"? In this case a tranny that is properly put together and mated to an engine that has a consistent predictable throttle response is easy to operate. Unfortunately, the newer crashboxes seem to be designed so that they make it harder for the driver. Too tight, can't dial in the engine to avoid kerchunking the transmission. Its nice they have the option of an AMT for those who need it, but its not for me.

5. jrbraeford

jrbraeford Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Raeford N.C.
    I guess you're both sort of right. However,It takes an ignorant manager or employee in any business to overlook where his money comes from. And by the way the customer is "always right".

6. Geckert

Geckert Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Annapolis MD
    Coming out of school in Dec was going to stay with the company I was with (Dominos Pizza supply centers) but got laid off last week. Really the question I have is this company worth it just to get miles for a year and get your feet wet to go somewhere better or should I go more with a company with Manual shift so as I dont forget how in that year.?

7. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    If you are looking just to get your feet wet, I would probly apply for them, as well as a few other carriers. Seeing as you are on the east coast, have you thought about a company like FedEX custom Critical? The reason I ask, and if you dont mind constantly being in the big eastern cities, I know they were looking for drivers in that region.

8. Geckert

Geckert Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Annapolis MD
    Thats the main reason I went to an A is to get out of all the cities. With a B around here your in DC and Baltimore every day and it is not something I want to do much longer. I HATE DC, Baltimore isn't totally horrible but DC is.

9. sassysenior

sassysenior Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2009
    good for you !! trucking is getting worse & worse, and to many foriegners are being brought into this country & being given trucks, free training & can't speak intelligent "english".

10. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    No way in hell would I let my truck out of my sight. Mechanic's have been known for sticky hand's so I stay until the job is done. I'll stay out of the shop and watch if the work is outside the truck but if it's inside the truck I'm right there keeping a close eye on my personal belonging's and #### any company policy about driver's not being allowed inside. One of my moto's is never trust anyone until you have gained it from them. That includes these guy's ----->:glasses4::glasses5: or this guy dressed up like a can of SPAM! :spam2:

JimTheHut Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.