Stay Away!

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by LaPurr, Mar 30, 2007.

1. 2nd career

2nd career Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    Did you go to California for orientation ?
    Did you take the bus of fly Southwest?
    How was the hotel ?
    How's your trainer ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. VegasRoadDawg

VegasRoadDawg Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Henderson, Nevada
    Well, I'm going on my third week with my trainer and it hasn't been as bad living in a truck with a total stranger as I though it would be. Fortunately, my trainer is retired military like myself, so we have a lot in common. The first thing he did on day one was take me out to the yard to see if I could backup a 53'er. Seeing no problems there, he kinda relaxed and felt he could trust me behind the wheel of his truck I guess. The first week on the road, I drove over 2800 miles myself. He added another 1200 or so himself. We where constantly moving. He does the Eleven Western States as a route, but we ended up as far east as Illinois on a few runs. Coming through Kansas on one run, it snowed the whole way. He let me drive it and was surprised at how well I handled the truck/trailer in bad weather. We must have seen at least six rigs and twenty cars flipped or in the ditch. It was a crazy, long, and mentally exhausting drive. After that day my trainer trusted me with everything and treated me like a team-mate. He sleeps well now while I'm driving...and vice versa. Pay is another issue. I arrived in Colton in early January for orientation, yet haven't been paid for orientation, nor for my reimbursables, like my plane ticket to Colton, and my taxi fair to the hotel. I did receive a $50 dollar advance on the fuel card/slash ATM card they issued me. That $50 being part of my orientation pay so they tell me. And I did receive a $300 deposit to my checking account last friday, I think for my first week on the road with my trainer ($47 a day), but I have no actual break-down for what the deposit was for. I still have to learn how to access my pay info on the SATCOM in the truck. Bottom line is, if I hadn't had my own money in my bank to work with, this could have been a real hardship for the first three to six weeks. So be prepared for that if you come work for this company and have no funds of your own availabe. Barring that, everything else is great! And to the couple a few posts back; I don't remember a husband/wife team during truck driving school. Did you mean orientation at US Xpress? I do remember a few couples there. To the rest of you...Good Luck and take care!

VegasRoadDawg

On the road again!

Belton Bandit Thanks this.
  4. 2nd career

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    Hey Dawg,
    I'm leaning toward USX now. I'm lined up for werner in 10 days but am going to backout.
    I was planning (If accepted) to fly out of Vegas to Ontario. Is that what you did ?
    Are they keeping your runs over 900 mile so your pay drops to 26 cents a mile?
    .35 cents looks good unless you keep getting 900+ runs.

5. 2nd career

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    Can't PM until 50 posts.

6. VegasRoadDawg

VegasRoadDawg Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Henderson, Nevada
    2nd Career,

I'm still on with my trainer so I don't know how my runs will be when I get my own truck. They do use a sliding scale though, but I haven't heard anyone complain about it yet. Infact, no one has said anything negative about the company since I've been with them. I did fly in from Vegas to Ontario for orientation. They tell you taxi fair is only $20 to the hotel from the airport. Nope! I paid $34 by the meter. Today (friday) was pay day. They deposited $375 in my account, so some of the reembursables may have been paid. Overall, I'm very happy with the company so far. You say you might go with Werner? A third of the people at my Orientation were people who had quit Werner. All of them talked mega bad #### about the company. But who knows, right? Goodluck!

VegasRoadDawg

Belton Bandit Thanks this.
  7. jmy72

jmy72 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Tampa, Fl
    Okay, Here's my Two cents on the deal. While no, you dont have to justify your actions, you have to understand that as a company Driver you have no right to remove a truck from the shop. I would have fired you also. If I put a truck in a shop to have it fixed, and I hired you to drive it, and you threw a temper tantrum because you couldnt smoke a cigarette, I would also probably call the cops for unlawful entry into a commercial vehicle. The Guidelines of the shops are clear. And They have signs posted everywhere. No drivers in the shop due to Insurance Regulations. You had no business being in the shop, You should have asked where an appropriate place was for you to smoke. Only the Company that owns the truck has the right to make the decision of when the truck leaves the shop. You said it yourself, the company told you to leave the truck in the shop and let them finish the work. You went against the directives of the company. You caused a physical altercation with the shop as you were illegally on the shop floor trying to move a vehicle that you were not authorized to move. By all means you deserve to get fired. I would say that you are going to have a very very hard time trying to prove to anyone that you were fired in bad judgement.

P.S. Get some Anger Management Counceling quick before you really wind up in Jail. (If you are not in Jail Already):biggrin_25510:

8. 2nd career

Jan 24, 2008
    Mesquite,NV
    Thanks Road Dawg for your reply. I'm going to cancel or postpone Werner on Monday until I can figure where to end up. I am waiting for a reply from a USX recruiter who has been mailing and calling me. Her name in Annettte.
    Keep me posted with your progress...thanx....

9. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Your 2 cents have been returned, and rejected for being dumbarse counterfits.. You say you would have fired me, not likely, cause I wouldnt have worked for you. You say I should get anger management classes, hmm, thats odd, I should take anger management classes for not hitting anyone, or hurting anyone, or yelling at anyone. OH, but I did ask to speak to there manager, I guess that can be misguided anger? Once that truck is in my hands, it is mine to control, get repaired, or anything else. When I get pulled over for a ticket, --I-- am the one that pays for it. When my truck breaks down, --I-- am the one that gets a reduced "breakdown" pay while it gets fixed. That truck, at all times, regardless of location, weather, etc, is in my control, because I am the one ultimately responsible for it until I turn that truck back into the company, at their terminal. Get real buddy and understand the laws befor you even try preaching them. Not only did I succeed in my wrongful termination, they are now begging me to come back so they dont have to pay the diferential in pay to my new job.

I had every right, by a matter of law, to protect myself. The shop in question, had NO right, by a matter of law to question my right to smoke a cigerette on the PUBLIC street, since afterall, the street isnt their property. The shop, also had no right, by a matter of law, to even try to detain me. I cant help if the people in the USX breakdown department are about as useless as George Bush Jr, and latter, if I had contacted the right dept (that being the safety dept), they would have contacted the shop, and the police for me, and if that hadnt of worked, would have supported my decision to protect myself justly. Lets not forget, I was a cop in my previous carreer, who left my job because the dept was corrupt and on the take. I LEFT, and I didnt get asked to leave.

Jesus people, when are you going to learn that you dont have to lay down and take this kind of abuse from a shop, a company, or for that matter, anyone else. I was well within my rights, I didnt hurt anyone, and because I acted the way I did, I may have prevented myself from getting hurt. Lets not forget here, the shop got cited for unlawful detainment of me. What did I get, nothing, cause the law, as defined by the LAW, was on my side because I did try to act safely, and within the limits of citizens rights, and laws.

But I digress...

RoadDawg, I am glad this company is working out for you. This company, like many others out there has there good side, and there bad side. Good for you for falling into the crack of their good side. I wish you many happy years with this company.

Are you having problems getting used to the fully automatic truck? That was my biggest issue. Backing into docks is a real pain because it always seemed that the tranny just grabbed to much, and you end up bouncing off the dock bumpers. 2 footing it is the only way around it, which can take some getting use to all by itself. Maybe you will get lucky and get a brand new truck once done with training.

If I was to go back on the road, USX would be second on my list of companys to call. I know I wouldnt be a owner operator right now. Lots of O/O's are loosing there rigs because of fuel costs, and whatever else. So just stick with it, get a couple years under your belt, and maybe our economy will settle down enough to where you can make some big money, with some nice long hauls, taking care of your family, and last, but not least, taking care of yourself. Good luck, and as I said, I am glad its working out for ya.

10. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Does USX run Freightliners or Volvos for the Florida runs?

Hunter

11. jmy72

jmy72 Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Tampa, Fl
    :biggrin_2555: Well At Least we can agree on one thing.

wolfie

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.