Stay Away!

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by LaPurr, Mar 30, 2007.

1. knightbringer

knightbringer Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    So, who would be your first LaPurr?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    USX runs whatever truck they give you really. They have Freightliners, Volvos, Kenworth(less), Peterbuilt (Peterbuffer). Its just the luck of the draw when you get there really. The Freightliner is generally what everyone gets, solos only get the KW, and the Pete. Volvo's, or so they claim, are only for teams. But many solos do end up with them. Thats what I had for the last 6 of the 7 years I drove with them.

Personally, The freightliners are the OK truck. Not a bunch of space, but ok. Lots of wind noise from no insulation, lots of penetrating cold from no insulation either. But, they are easier to get worked on cause you really cant go more than 50 miles without seeing another freightliner dealer. It just takes them a week to get it into the shop.

The Volvo has the best ride, best storage, best visability, and the safest truck out on the road, bar none. The cummins motor is fairly easy to get worked on, pretty much any dealer can work on them. If its a Volvo motor, it has to go to a volvo dealer. Frankly, there isnt a lot of them out there. When at the volvo dealer, as long as they have the parts needed, it normally doesnt take long. Not alot of drivers have been turned to Volvo trucks. The controls are set up better, more like a car, but this makes it so the driver has less distractions going down the road.

The Pete, and KW, are both about the same truck really. No space, no comfort, and not a great ride, but not a bad one. Just mediocre. Speakers are right by your head, so if you are jamming out to some tunes going down the road, you will be deaf by the time you get there. The Cat motors are ALWAYS breaking down. Not really the engines fault, but they bought a 625 cat. and turned it down to 375. So the turbos are not working right, and other issues.

All of them have Automatics, best thing since sliced bread. Just make sure your trainer teaches you about the H or Hold button. This will be a life saver in the winter monhs. Also, remember to get the max use of jake brakes, use the L button. You get one more gear of jakes, and it puts the engine into a higher RPM for more effective jakes.

4. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Good question. It would probly be Interstate trucking. And I will even explain why...

Firstly, I have talked to there drivers, coast to coast. Talked to them on the radio, talked to them at the fuel pump, talked to them in the retaurant. Out of every driver I talked to, I only ever found 1 common complaint. They turned the trucks down. Well, they are a ATA company, so thats only a matter of time.

They have automatic, Volvo, trucks for solos, decent pay, many diferent devisions (type of trailer) to choose from, a training program (I want to pass on my knoledge the best I can), diferent regional devisions, or OTR, a terminal at the state I am moving to at the end of the year (denver). And If I ever want to take a stab at it, a O/O program.

They also dont do alot of rail, their trailers arent designed for the rail is the reason I heard. Their trucks look decent if you like the green (at least it isnt white (Swift/JBHunt reference).

I am sure I could think of other reasons. But their drivers, only ever having one common complaint, is what sold me. It was a combination of, the dispatchers, low pay, breakdown, or whatever else. They only complain about speed of the trucks. If thats their only complaint, thats one I can live with.

5. knightbringer

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    You don't know anything about Arnold do you, La Purr? I am considering them and USX, however I must obtain my hazmat endorsement for Arnold. They do regional and i'd be home almost every weekend as opposed to USX where i'd be out two weeks or so. Its a hard choice.

6. LaPurr

LaPurr Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    What I do know about Arnold is limited. Firstly, they are a USX company, and you are actually pulling USX trailers, with Arnold badging on them. Also, most of the trucks are the same, USX trucks, with Arnold decals. The rest is what I have learned talking to the drivers that come into my current job. Most love the way Arnold is, but USX is slowly, but surely, changing how things operate. Taking loads from Arnold drivers, and putting them on a USX truck, only for the USX truck to get refused because they arent allowed into the facility (happened at my job last week). So the load gets put back on a Arnold truck, but now its late, because they had to find a Arnold driver to come get the load. The O/O I talked to last week said he is quiting at the end of the month. He can read the writing on the wall, and doesnt want anything to do with a USX company. I think (my opinion here) that USX bought Arnold and the other comps because their drivers, or dispatchers, or both, had performed so badly, that the lost alot of high dollar accounts. So for them to get it back, they sneak in the back door with another company that hasnt been "rejected".

7. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    since we're all chipping in here, i'll throw my 2cents in . ive been with USX for just over a month. I lucked out and got an 07 KW. wasnt real impressed at first, but like anything it grows on you. the auto trans is great. i havent seen a railyard(i had heard thats the only place i'd go to and from). ive averaged 2000-2800miles. ive put in to be home every other weekend and got it.
    i drove for PTL for a year before i came here. all these big box companies are the same with very small differences. it all comes down to where you are happy.
    good luck to all

8. knightbringer

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    Well, after carefull consideration I have deceided to go with Arnold. I looked at a several companies including USX and Crete. I have looked on this site and talked to drivers and have gotten so many different responses that I choose a company not many know much about. USX had me take a survey after each call, asking me questions about my race, sex, and whether I was a vet or not. That led me to feel that this is a huge company, so I backed off them. Crete couldn't retrieve info on a warehouse gig I did 4 years ago. So I figure no news is good news in the case of trucking companies. I have a few weeks to change my mind though so my eyes are still open.

9. knightbringer

Aug 28, 2007
    macon, ga
    Where do you run primarily?

10. trapsh00ter25

trapsh00ter25 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2008
    PA

Dawg,

Do not, and I can't stress this enough, do not let USX catch you or your trainer running team. Your trainer must be on line 4 while you are on line 3, that's USX policy. If they catch it that your trainer was in the bunk and you were behind the wheel you both will end up being fired for not following company policy. Why do think your trainer only logged 1200 for the week? Teams average 5500-6000 miles/week. They are always looking for reasons to dump people and they won't be sincere about it. You run western 11 so they'll hit when you're somewhere on I 57 outside of Chicago, they're good for that. Oh and don't think they'll do it right away either, they keep a little tally sheet on you, so stay clean if you make it through. As for your SATCOM issues, your trainer should've already taught you how to access pay. You should be running it too by now as you now have less than 2 weeks of training at this point. For reference though I think pay is a macro 16, but I haven't driven for USX in over a year so I'm sure it's changed. Ya you got your 50 advance from orientation, you'll get the other 100 only if you upgrade, if they send you packing kiss it goodbye. Don't expect to see anything else, you get 300 a week after taxes while you train so that is accurate. Don't ever expect to get a reimbursement unless you have a receipt for it in a trip pak, and even then you may not get it. I got screwed everytime I came home, I dropped in an approved secure yard and paid 20 for the privilege, and always submitted the receipt but never got reimbursed. Ok enough rambling, you get the gist of what I'm saying.

11. trapsh00ter25

trapsh00ter25 Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2008
    PA

If you aren't team or trainer forget about a Volvo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.