Steepest grade you ever pulled or went down.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Working Class Patriot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    the worst actual road I took was a logging road in the coast range of Oregon with a 48' spread, scraping dirt off the cliff sides the whole way and 4 ways on the whole time. Apparently I timed it right because the forklift driver told me usually there is a cop at the top of the hill who will make you call and get a pilot car if he catches you.

alds Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. revelation1911

revelation1911 Heavy Load Member

Dec 25, 2011
    Moody Alabama
    Pa 16 going to Jerr Dan maufactturing when it's iced over.
    10% up and 10% down. Said I'd never be back

4. Dave 1960

Dave 1960 Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Shepherd, TX
    Down close to the river and up away from on US60 in AZ.

Used that route because a guy at the copper mine said it would save time. It saved MILES, but NOT time!

Trailer was loaded up to about 78K gross. Running TO the mine empty was not really fun.... BEAUTIFUL country though!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
    alds Thanks this.
  5. rocknroll81

rocknroll81 Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2010
    West Allis Wi.
    You have to respect all grades no matter what, with that being said,this video is not that impressive, He seems to be a unsafe driver with useing his jake when its slippery like that, you NEVER use a jake when it's slippery, his own video proves it when his drives started to lock up not once but twice. He can talk all that cool "clicks" and "heads" all he wants, He just videoed himself being not to professional, again, not impressive at all. My .02 worth

alds Thanks this.
  6. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

7. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    The one on I-24 in Tennessee use to be a 9% years ago, but due to some many accidents, they rearranged the highway around Monteagle in order to bring it down to a 6%. Going up is about three miles, and coming down is four. They added an extra mile coming down so that they could cut into the deadly grade.

I been down a few steep 4th of July and a few others that had me looking for a exit

8. musik24

musik24 Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Auburn, Alabama
    Bald Eagle Mountain near jersey shore, pa and Cumberland mountain i was making my way to pennsylvania, stopped at the chicken house of course was over on my tandems, slid them back paid the ticket and on my way. not even half a mile down a driver got on the radio telling me my brakes are smoking since my jakes were #### and i was loaded. Pulled over on the shoulder called the shop told me to keep going! so i rode the shoulder the whole way down into downtown during rush hour lol

9. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    when i was driving a mixer they sent me to a new house being built. the house had a walk out basement the hill going down to the back was steep. i get there and they send me to the back to finish the patio, they needed about 1/2 a yard to finish, then they send me back to the front to pour the garage floor. when i went back up the hill to the front of the house, the front of the mixer came off the ground about 3 feet, all i saw was blue sky and clouds for a second till the front came back down

10. BSD

BSD Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Edge of the Badlands
    Mt. Eagle is a bump in the road.Yes you can use your jake brake coming down a snow covered grade if you know what you are doing.Had my drivers lock up a few times, just have to be ready and know what to do. No big deal.

11. kajidono

kajidono Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Streetrat
    Jake won't lock your wheels up anyway. It turns itself off if the revs drop too low.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.