Steepest grade you ever pulled or went down.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Working Class Patriot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    I took my F-15 from Sea Level to 100,000 feet in just under 5 minutes. That was the steepest grade I ever was on.

Dave 1960 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KC Guardrail

KC Guardrail Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Nice try... The F-15 didn't fly that high. :p

Tonythetruckerdude Thanks this.
  4. Joetro

Joetro Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Post Falls, ID
    14.5% @ 105,500 several times a week in Hedley BC. I may have been on steeper, since some seemed that way, but this was one we knew the actual grade.

5. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    kajidono Thanks this.
  6. Pipe 40

Pipe 40 Light Load Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Toowoomba Queensland
    Live on top of a 11% grade it's only 2.5 miles long though usually drag up to 137000 pounds up or down it most day. Have been down loaded and up empty a 18% grade took a bit of scuffing to get back up the hill only short though 1/2 a mile long.

7. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I don't remember what it was. Whatever mountain that is where Alabama meets Georgia close to Chattanooga. It wasn't a truck route, some kind of two lane state or county road, it links with I-59, I just remember it being an insanely steep spiral, it kept going on and on forever round and round all the way to the bottom of the valley, I was empty and when I put the jakes on full my tires started squeeling and the cab rocked like hell, had to go down pumping the brakes lightly no jakes, I was worried the overpass carrying the interstate might be too low but it was 13-6. Phew, got on the interstate and smoked the most relaxing cigarette ever.

8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    I took a look on google maps, I think it's Georgia State Road 136. According to wikipedia it goes from 1600 feet to 1000 feet in elevation in two turns. I don't know if that's a big deal, but I KNOW it felt like it LOL

9. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    That plane was designed to do that ...set a record...

The Streak Eagle also had everything possible stripped off it. The sole purpose of that bird was to set speed to altitude records. They left one radio, took off every bit of weight they could, including paint, and basically went straight up as fast as they could, then coasted up to even higher altitude. They went as high as possible, then momentum took them higher. The only way they were able to get that high was to perform extensive modifications to the internal structure, and external weight loads. An OPERATIONAL F-15 can't even get close to that altitude, let alone one with an ASAT on the pylon.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    KC Guardrail Thanks this.
  10. flightwatch

flightwatch Road Train Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Somewhere in Texas
    kc guardrail stated that a f-15 didn't fly that high. He never said anything about what type of f-15 or with what loadout. I was just showing that one did.

11. KC Guardrail

KC Guardrail Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2013
    What a sad life you lead, finding it necessary to go around message boards proving someone wrong. Does it make you feel superior? I hope so.

I worked on F-15s for 2 years at Kadena AB. I know the jet and the one you posted about stopped being a F-15 long before that record setting flight.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.