Steepest grade you ever pulled or went down.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Working Class Patriot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    We did a couple of jobs in Mt Ranier national park, no truck at all roads. I have no idea what the grades were but they were steep and plenty of switch backs. I don't care about steep, but all these loads are on the heavy side.
    The company would stage all the equipment at the old lumber mill in packwood and I took them all up into the park. We staged on top and had to leave the park to a place we could get turned around in the national forest with every load of oil lime and water, plus the train itself.
    The first job we did, we hooked the train up in the road and left it, till we finished the job. Just used traffic lights at night, the second job 3 years later, there was a new park ranger, and he would not let us use traffic lights, which meant the train had to go back to the staging yard every night.
    It took close to 4 hours to rig the thing up and almost as long to break it down, so I told the boss, I will drag it back and forth, he said he didn't think I could.
    I made it till we finished the job, then had to go down, turn around and go back to the top to break it down and get it road ready. No problem, been doing this everyday, but when I got back to the jobsite it was steep and they had dropped the rgn and were loading the grinder.
    I looked it over as I was nearing, and decided I just had an inch or three, but could make it, but the boss stepped out in front of me and made me clutch it.
    We figured we were going to have to break it down right there, but I got it moving again.

My wife was suppose to pull a set of RM tanks on that job, but when she went up with me with a piece of equipment, she said no way. lol
    My daughter was driving a company truck, but basically a newby driver, she switched with my wife and pulled the doubles.

Truckermania and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That sounds like major fun!

x1Heavy and Intothesunset Thank this.
  5. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    That was a good outfit to work for and the last couple of years I furnished all the trucking for the best crew they had. That ranier job was so fun, that I told them if they bid another national park job, to count me out. Not because of the road or country, I love that stuff, but because of the folks that run national parks. I have not been in one since.

x1Heavy, Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Just did the Heckman Pass on Hwy 20 from Williams Lake to Bella Coola, BC.
    Lots of sharp switch backs. Gravel road. 4,000 ft drop in 11 miles with grades up to 18 %.

7. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    YouTube video or it never happened...:cool:

FlaSwampRat and Intothesunset Thank this.
  8. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    My first trip north, the scale man at the old williams lake scale gave me about 180 bucks worth of education. lol I am glad that scale is gone. lol

Lepton1 and Intothesunset Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Did he at least give you a diploma?

10. I guess that would be the famous oh my God Hill..
    and it is called the OMG Hill when you approach the top it says you are now with the OMG.
    it's 10% for 10 miles straight to the bottom.. there's a brake check at the top climbing it's even funner with a heavy load..
    many people avoid this road just to not go down the oh my God Hill.
    you can get around it if you need to..by taking another steep Road out of ranchester to greybull us-14 not the alternate 14..but some people just go down it anyway..
    it sits out on us 14a between Lovell Wyoming and ranchester Wyoming is closed in the winter time..
    it's just to the west of ranchester outside of Burgess Junction it starts as 8% for 3 miles then begins 10% for 10 miles..
    it's a steep one no doubt..
    I took it one time coming out of Dayton when I had delivered out there near Sheridan and I had to pick up a backhaul outside the Powell and I didn't want to drop down 14 so I took a ride on the 14 a about 20 years ago it's still the steepest thing I've ever seen...I don't even know if trucks are allowed to run the alternate 14 anymore between Lovell and ranchester. or if they make them go to Cody Via Greybull anymore..

Long FLD, Lepton1 and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  11. okay pick your poison kids you are now at Burgess Junction you got to go to Cody do you take 14A or 14? here's your diagram of how much you're going to drop down in the size of the grades..Take US 14 or do you hop on 14a and really go for a ride??

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.