Steepest grade you ever pulled or went down.....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Working Class Patriot, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Chuk510

Chuk510 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Kamloops B.C.
    The logging roads in B.C. have no grade markings and some are very steep, same as some of the mine roads. Now you want to see something go and check out the loggers on Vancouver Island. They have water cooled breaks just so they can stop at the bottom of the hill and those trucks carry one hell of a load.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chuk510

Chuk510 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Kamloops B.C.
    Well I have been down a lot of hills in the States but so far none of them come close to some of the ones I have been up and down in B.C. and a couple of back roads in Oregon. I dont know what the grade is but there is one that super b's go down from a mine to the rail yard and it is a regular highway and it has I belive 7 runaway lanes. And that is a road marked I believe trucks recomended speed 15 mph. I delivered a log home in Oregon and was only about 70,000 and had to get towed up by a cat.

4. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    We get spoiled down here... everytime a congressman wants re-elected he flattens out a few hills for the taxpayers. We have "back roads," yeah, but what you're describing, down here is mostly known as "goat trails!"

5. Chuk510

Chuk510 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Kamloops B.C.
    We got those to but the goats wont even go up them

6. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Yeah...but drivers still do it......Food needs to make it to the table and those logs don't make it to the mills by themselves...

7. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Iowa 1 in Monticello Ia. I've never seen any indication of what the grade is, but it's a good one. Heading north you come into town, and there it is, traffic signal and all right at the top. The last trip thru there, on a clear blue sky, dry day, right at the top, here's a puddle of water!!! Where the crap did that come from? As luck would have it, I caught the light, with all 8 drives in the water. 42k, or thereabouts, in the box, power divider thrown in, and 1st gear. Still had trouble with turning over the tires.

Seems lately I've been spending a bit of time down in Iowa, I've found that place isn't as flat as I always thought!! LOL.:biggrin_2559:

8. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    UT 14. "Trucks not recommended." OK, it didn't say "prohibited," so...

10-12% grades, hairpin turns, in the winter with a shotgun tank. I hit Cedar City vowing to never do that again. :biggrin_25523:

Working Class Patriot Thanks this.
  9. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    VA, HWY 250 WB, needed to get to a truck stp. in W.V. I believe this road is kin to the tail of the dragon i have heard about.

hairpin curves, 9% grades, goat trail at best.

10. Miles_Of_Truckin

Miles_Of_Truckin Light Load Member

Sep 25, 2008
    MD
    Anybody mention I-68 heading to cumberland Md? they got some nasty ones, Plus a manatory break check at the one grade. Not pretty in winter time.

11. Im4Jesus

Im4Jesus Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2009
    northeast
    Ashland,Va the hiways in that area all have mandatory brake check at the top of them:biggrin_2556: Went thru this area a couple years back it was an interesting day for sure 7%- 9% grades I think:biggrin_25524: Have a safe one

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.