Steer tire question

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by BillyBobFrank, Mar 14, 2023.

1. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    With that wear and mileage, time to replace them. There’re absolutely not gonna get any better, if money is an issue, switch the fronts or switch the tire itself so that wear is in the inside. Just might slightly extend a little more miles.

wore out Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Yes I thinking the same. I'll replace them but definitely would like to do some shopping around and hope I can get another 1-2 weeks out of them. As someone else stated, you want to change tires on your terms not by the force of nature.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Should be fine for a bit. You can always keep an eye on it. Almost looks like it ran something over. I have a trailer tire that way on a few treads. Been that way for a couple months. It’s holding up.I’m watching it, will replace soon.

5. mile marker 27

mile marker 27 Road Train Member

Dec 4, 2019
    I’ve got two truck that have a spot or two like that, on their steers. Tires ain’t all that old but those fellers are on gravel roads a heck of a lot. Seem to ride out good but I do keep an eye on all my tires. They’ll stay on there until I deem otherwise.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. san00

san00 Medium Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    I've started pricing tires at my normal shops and oh boy...if I wanted to keep the same Michelin's on it's $740 a tire. My guy told me Hankook's are his best sellers and customer's have been getting 150K to 175K out of them and they run $514 a tire. I can get a Goodyear Endurance for $566 a piece.

If I want to buy local it seems my choices are slim (without dipping into the cheap Chinese tires) as they were telling Cooper's are on back order as well as BFGoodrich. And I've had nothing but issues on Bridgestone steers so they aren't an option.

I hate to go cheap on steer tires and I've been a Michelin man but we are talking about a 44% price difference and if the Hankook's last 150K they will match what I'm going to get out of my Michelin's I currently I have. I've had Goodyear steers once before and they were decent nothing special.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.