steer tire suggestions

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by gafred99, Jan 1, 2011.

1. blanco

blanco Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Gwinnett County, GA
    I second this option. We run them to 6/32 on steers and then put them on trailer.

Once they wear out to 2/32 we get them recapped with Michelin for drives or XZE3 SA(spread axle) threads.

They are warrantied to 700,000 miles 7 years or 3 retreads (obviously no casing damages)

We've had excellent service with this brand. Not looking or going back to others. Youse get what you pay for.

aktundratugger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Tifton, Ga
    I run XZA3 steers as well. I'm getting ready to rotate at about 5/32 and have over 186,000 on them running a good alignment and Centramatic balancers. That and just recently had to do the kingpins, so that shortened their life somewhat I'm sure.

aktundratugger Thanks this.
  4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    I am running the Firstone 590's also currently and so far am liking them alot at about 30000 miles on them. I do like the Michelins and of course Toyo M527 for price and good casings that have gone on to great trailer tires on a 48 spread

5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I've not had any luck with the 590s. I've had 3 sets on 2 different trucks do the same thing. I get them about half worn out and they start pulling to 1 side. Firestone was good about it they prorated the tire causing the pull but.... no more for me thanks anyway.

6. brenes-built

brenes-built Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    I just put on some steer tires and I already have the centermatics. I've had them put a bag of equal in each... Do I need to balance them still or what do you guys recommend...

7. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    Just my opinion! I would not of added the equal. In fact i would get it out of there. The centramatics should handle the job by themselves. No need for anything else.

8. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa

Yes that is what I've been told 1 or the other not both.

9. SpeedRacer

SpeedRacer Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Tifton, Ga
    Get that equal out!

The first time I bought centramatics I put them on steers with equal and it screwed them up.

10. paul 1052

paul 1052 Heavy Load Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Sand Springs, Ok.
    Michelin, over 200K miles from my last 3 pairs. Last 2 pairs didnt need any weight to balance.

11. brenes-built

brenes-built Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Vancouver, Wa
    I've had the centermatics for a while now, I've always balanced my steers if they needed it. This time I figured to try something different.. So far they are riding good. They are FS507 Plus. 24.5LP I've been having wear problems but didn't get a chance to get the new front axle replaced when I was home. It took peterbilt about five days to ship me my parts and they got in the afternoon before I had to leave.. I will probably take the equal out or the centermatics off since there will be all new front end parts.. After replacing the axle and king pins, what do you guys think is the way to go?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.