Steering wheel posture

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by spindrift, Mar 17, 2018.

1. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Well folks, finally after four years of getting my affairs in order I'm almost ready to take my Class A test. As a somewhat older individual, I take some offense to an instructor who trys to scare you into learning something. In particular, I'm being told to hold my hands flat on the steering wheel in order to avoid a broken wrist, hand, finger or other body part should I lose air in a steer. Now back in the day, before power steering, I witnessed first hand what damage could be done to a wrist from a whipping steering wheel. Is that still a concern in a big truck and if not, why would the instructor be telling me his stories?

andhe78 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

Streetroddreams Thanks this.
  4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I grew up and was taught with having my hands wrapped around the steering wheel with thumbs on top for relaxed (normal) driving. When I'm backing I palm the steering wheel at the 11 O'clock position, but this will vary as to a person's comfort.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Short answer, NO. However it still is possible. Try to avoid as much as you can locking your thumb inside a steering wheel. I know of several drivers that have missing or misshapen thumbs from blowouts.

Lepton1 and Dan.S Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    May (or may not) break. At the very least if the wheel gets jerked it will hurt like heck. Why let that happen when it's so easy not to.

Also, if you get offended so easily, never go inside a truck stop.....

Lepton1 and Streetroddreams Thank this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    I have a wooden steering wheel. I normally drive with my left hand on the spoke at the 9 o clock position. Had the right steer blow at 85 mph as I was passing a picnic area. The truck jerked right,the right side dropped, i tugged left, downshifted, came to a halt on the shoulder, threw her in reverse and backed down the on ramp into the picnic area. Maybe in the old days with Armstrong steering, but today’s trucks, no.

“So, why would he tell me this, Six?”

I dunno. You have trainers that tell their students to run with both hands on the wheel, 3 and 9 and whatnot...I think that’s a mistake. Run what’s comfortable to you.

Took one of those driver simulators, and they put me on an icy road. I did my usual left hand grip and apparently the lady doing the test didn’t like it. She blew the right steer. The truck lurched right, I turned it back left. You could feel the lady controlling the thing trying to drive me off the road, it didn’t work. Even so, she reprimanded me for driving with 1 hand. So, my guess is the instructor is telling you that stuff because that’s what they do. Just nod at them until they leave you alone.

Luck in battle.

stwik, Lepton1, Crude Truckin' and 2 others Thank this.
  8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Thanks Six. We were also doing a pre-trip yesterday and when I got to the tractor suspension I called out the spring hanger, nuts, bolts and BUSHING, etc., etc. He was with another group looking at the trailer and somehow heard me call out the "bushing". He came running over yelling at me, "Where does it say on your cheat sheet, BUSHING"? I pulled out the paper from my back pocket and pointed to BUSHING. He quickly moved on to another part of the tractor.

Look, I understand that guys are going to have different ways of driving and teaching. I let it go but wish they would just be upfront and honest. Older guys trying to impress the newbies. I've probably tried to puff my feathers in my former career so I should understand.

9. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I forgot to also mention... Since you are in a class, your best bet is to drive the way they want you to cause they usually know the methods/criteria of the local driving inspectors when it comes time for the test.

Once you get on the road, you'll find out pretty quick what works for you and is most comfortable.

Lepton1, Dan.S and spindrift Thank this.
  10. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    If you keep an eye on your steer tires(and dont overload them...steer blowouts are very Rare.If it comes down to overloading steers vs.Drives.Opt for the drives.There is "No One Size Fits all ...when It comes to a "Steer Tire Popping".Road conditions,speeds,traffic conditions vary.Your main job is "To Get that SOB slowed down,off the road,without hurting anyone (including Yourself)!its all on you. Ive had 2 steers "Pop",in 12 years of driving a Rig. 1ST THING,let out of gas...and control it. I used a steel guard rail on I70 to help slow it dowm. Was I concerned about the Company Truck? NO,that was 2nd or 3rd priority.Used the friction of the guard rail to bring it to a stop.Truck was "hammered down the Passenger side". Also Never ""Lock your fingers behind the wheel"Itll hurt like a "Bastage",may not break fingers ,but,hurts.So,let outta gas,and Dont lay into the breaks(thatll make it worse yet

Lepton1 and spindrift Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I've had a couple of steer tires fail. I never had difficulty holding the wheel or had the wheel violently try to jerk from my hand. The secret to making it through training is to, as much as possible, pretend anything your trainer says is the most important beneficial useful advice until you get your own truck. If your trainer says touch your nose before every left turn to prevent alien invasion, do it and ask for an explanation later. Never give the impression you intend to fight his technique as some trainers will see it as being unwilling to "learn." The less conflict the better. You will be Captain of your own ship soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.