Steering wheel removal

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by oneroad, May 25, 2020.

1. TheBaron97

TheBaron97 Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    I figured that out, I should have read it more thoroughly I thought they were talking about the tie rod. But no my drag link is not adjustable. I'll see if I can move it over one slot.

Rideandrepair and Hulld Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    I have adjusted both the Wheel and at the steering rod to steering box locations and have had great success straightening Out the steering wheel.
    Question?
    How is the alignment on the truck now?
    Does it pull to either side or does it track straight down the rd?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I tried to do that when I changed my steering box, one tooth made a big difference. Put it off center the other way. About 180 degrees. But I didn’t know the box has stops. Thought they would turn indefinitely either way. Good to know.

5. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    He said he just had it aligned.

Hulld Thanks this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I’d sure like to get an adjustable drag link for my Classic. Had one on my 92 WS. Only front end part that ever went bad on that Truck.

7. TheBaron97

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    I haven't driven the truck myself only my driver has bit I think it drives just fine. I did the alignment myself and I'm pretty sure it's spot on.

Hulld and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. TheBaron97

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    I took it to a shop to ha e the alignment done and after watching them do it poorly I just copied what they were doing and redid it myself at the gas station afterwards with more precision and I'm wondering if I did something wrong. They had it toed it 3/4 inch which I why I redid it.

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    None of that sounds right to me. Are you sure they did an alignment, not just measured the distance of wheels? Seems I remember hearing that a proper alignment should be a little toed out. Maybe it’s toed in. Above my pay scale.

10. TheBaron97

Jun 22, 2020
    Williston, North Dakota
    It's toed in, basically you just make a mark around the tire using a stand and a nail deal to find the middle of the tire on each steer tire. Then you measure the front of the tire and the back of the tire and make sure they're both the same length and then "toe in" the front about 1/8 to 3/16

11. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    If you measure from the Ubolt on the front axel to the center of the front spring hanger bolt is it equal on both sides?
    I believe it should be about 24 inches on each side if I remember correctly.
    Also was the steering wheel straight before you had the tie rod failure?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.