step deck vs car hauler

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by pavrom, Oct 31, 2017.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    not sure if this is the best place to ask but trying to compare
    lets talk about new equipment :
    new car hauler trailer and stinger combo 100k vs 40k step deck
    car hauler maintainanance is just a kill (hoses , moving metal parts , cylinders) - step - nothing i guess (i am not counting brakes , tires and axles - both trailers have them)
    mpg - my 2000 pete does 4.7 , i am guessing step should doing around 5.5-6mpg (considering 1999 kw900 with 2015 doonan)
    rates - car hauler does $3 per mile all year round , step - i would say average 2.25-2.5 (i have 2 good friends 1 step another flat)
    only advantage with car hauler i see that auctions works late , dealership cars can be dropped even at night
    i just had major changes in my company (i have 4 stingers) , one driver left due to health issues , another one disappeared without notice and 3rd one became smart ### oversudden and i couldn't handle him anymore (2 out of 3 drivers were working steady for 3 year). i forgot when i went on vacation , during weekdays i help drivers to pick up cars with spare truck (not every day) , friday/saturday/sunday usually busiest days for me - trucks needs to be serviced , something needs to be repaired etc to be ready to leave monday ....not enough time for family :(
    i am in business since 2011 and did drive for maybe a year at the beginning OTR , at the moment i started driving again in august and normally i leave my yard monday morning about 9am (i live 3 miles away) and comeback home wednesday 3pm 10pm ...sometimes thursday 3am doing 2000 miles weekly on dedicated route to east coast . thursday and friday is usually local work picking up cars for next week ...usually 8 hour day . i have one more driver at the moment who doesn't give me any issues yet :)
    just asking to share your thoughts and experience in here
    p.s. i am not the guy who's looking for easiest and top paying job , just doing as much research as i can before i switch the field if ever . ideally it would be regional work with oversize and heavy haul but i doubt i wanna move there immediately without proper knowledge of securement . i do my work professionally and take pride , thinking to change due to much headache and stress in car hauling . i might be mistaken - maybe your field even worse :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Man if your already doing well with cars I'd stick. I have several friends who have done that for years and they do pretty good. Any jackazz can pull a flat or step. I'd stick with your niche.

4. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I have haul cars and flatbed/stepdeck and they both have their plus and minus.

Stepdeck: get an all Aluminium 53' step with slidding rear axle and install ramps on it. I just purchased this trailer. My combined empty weight on this trailer and a Freightliner Cascadia is 32k LBS and i can haul 48k if needed. Going to swap out the factory 22.5 wheels for the 17.5 wheels to lower deck. My next step is to put a Conestoga kit on it. With this setup, i can haul general freight, cars, machinery and almost RGN loads.

On my current purchase, i chose to go with the Stepdeck because i dont want to go coast to coast and want more hometime. If i didn't have a family and need hometime, i would go with the 8 car hauler route and go cross country because there is more money in it. While running with my own authority hauling cars, 85% of my loads pay Cash on delivery so the pay was excellent on cross country runs.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    strollinruss Thanks this.
  5. johnnyman1099

johnnyman1099 Medium Load Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Pavrom,
    i am curious why you chose the stinger units over the 8 car trailer paired with a regular truck. The stinger can haul 9 cars, just one extra car. Does that justify the extra cost ? I used to talk to many auto hauler at the truckstop doing cross country runs and most of them have the 8 car trailer paired with a regular truck because maintenance and cost of equipment was supposed to be lower.

6. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    Only 3.00 mile to haul cars? I always thought car hauling paid much better than that.

7. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    I started in 2011 with 2010 ford f350 and kaufman 4 cars - everyone told me : dude just get 7 car trailer , i got 7 cars wally mo - everyone told me : dude just get 9 cars ....finally i got 9 car , another , another....
    here is my example : my fuel cost to the east coast at the moment $1100 ... with 8 cars it will be 750 less , i would say 9th car covering most of the fuel cost .
    another reason having 9 cars : possibility to load wide variety of cars and not being over on trailer axles , like most of the 7 and 8 car hauler have (i talk to them too) ....unless you very selective in cars

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i would say its bare min i get , from time to time i have 3.5 rarely 4 .....i run one way 850 miles , its optimal for me at the moment with time i spent and complexity of work , i would say dedicated route . if i would run regional - you can make 5-6 per mile , but much more work loading/unloading , equipment stress due to millions stops

strollinruss and whoopNride Thank this.
  9. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    i count every single mile : loaded half way , completely , empty
    i drive 850 miles for 28-3000 one way and 34-4000 back plus loading miles and unloading , its not one pick-one drop

whoopNride Thanks this.
  10. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    from my point of view cross county is good if you are super lazy because the pay is low (unless of course you have own customers ....but if you are talking central dispatch - i doubt you can make $3 a mile)

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. whoopNride

whoopNride Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Miss.
    That makes sense. So you might be getting 6.00 a loaded mile at times. I always thought car hauling paid more than 3.00 per loaded mile. Although in today's trucking world, I'm sure there are some knuckleheads doing it even cheaper than that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.