Step deck with ramps

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dino soar, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I was going down the PA Turnpike today and I saw a truck with a step deck and he had ramps on the back end of it.

How common is this? Would you guys buy a step deck like that that has ramps? Is there a downside to that? It may be pretty common but I've never seen one of them before I don't think.

Does anybody have any idea how high a piece of heavy equipment would be on there? He had a lull machine on, and it looked pretty high.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    You talking about a step deck with a dovetail & flip over wedge style ramps like a lot of hotshots have?

Assuming the step has a main deck height of 35"-40".. I'd guess a range of 10'7" to 10'2" would be the max legal height of equipment on deck.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    I used to drive one of those years ago. It had Hydraulic ramps on the back. We used to haul paving equipment & smaller construction equipment with it. The ramps were critical because we delivered to a lot of residential areas where there was no other way to get the equipment on or off the trailer safely.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  5. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    0725181526.jpg

I move small equipment like this all the time. ~16,000lb JD 310J.. 33" deck height. Overall tallest point at the rear was about 11'9". Could have got it lower if need be..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Dadetrucking305 and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have a 53’ step deck with the ramps on the rear as you describe. I love it. Deck height is 37”. Tallest thing I have hauled on there was a dump truck that was 10’10”. Put me over 13’6 but 14’ is legal in Texas.

At least on mine you are somewhat limited on what you can load as the ramps are steep and short. Climbing them isn’t the problem high centering is. Equipment and stuff is fine but many vehicles have difficulty even pickups if they are not 4x4 and tall.

Dino soar and singlescrewshaker Thank this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I thought it was really cool that it combined the ramps with actually having a step deck.

So I guess you could just run regular step deck Freight and as long as you weren't over height you can even move construction equipment and things like that. I would imagine that gives you more dexterity with what kind of loads you can take.

I wonder why more guys don't have that kind of a setup?

singlescrewshaker Thanks this.
  8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Most step decks have ramps that can also be used as load levelers. That gives them the best sort of versatility.

singlescrewshaker and Dino soar Thank this.
  9. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    I've seen a step with dovetail recently, I believe it was a Dorsey..? Even had the container locks still. The rear locks were built right into the bottom of the fold over wedge style ramps. Pretty neat..

I was hating my tail for a little while. It's about 11' total overhang from the rear axle & has loads of tail swing. Also in the northeast I was tending to drag it all the time. It's been growing on me lately though. Staying out of northeast, & trying to use it more by doing rolling equipment. $50-$100 more for use of ramps, & hauling 3 wheeled tractors & Moffets it has paid for itself..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
  10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    I fell in love with this beauty this week. Double drop with a beaver tail. D1A3C998-5587-433E-9B64-27C338A5CA7B.jpeg

11. singlescrewshaker

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Nice! Looks like it might have a rear lift axle on there also..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.