Stepdeck or flatbed auto hauling

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by southbaydad, Dec 19, 2015.

1. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I will be more hauling cars this next year to supplement regular freight and partials but don't want to keep trying to secure to around axles. Does anybody have any experience using the basket straps vs lasso straps?
    I can see kinda see the pros and cons....like its hard to find a single flat hook side mount basket (preferred) or net strap that will work on a side mount trailer. ie; one flat hook and one ratchet The lasso strap looks like it is pretty universal and there is nothing in the FMCSA regs saying lasso is not acceptable. It looks like the basket straps are not as universal ie: some say they will fit up to 15" wheel and others say up 17" or 20" wheel. Whereas the lasso strap looks like it can be adapted to any wheel size. Does anybody know of a company that sells a one flat hook/one ratchet type of basket straps that is adjustable to most wheel sizes? I have been hunting the internet but no luck
    thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I don't think that they make what you are looking for specifically. But with the price and how little room they take up, why not carry a few of each and use what best fits the situation.

truckon and southbaydad Thank this.
  4. southbaydad

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    ya gotta point but I would technically need 8 small basket straps 8 large straps and 8 lasso straps to cover me for different size wheels sizes- so if there is an alternative than thats what I owuld go with or i guess just buy 8 lasso straps and be done with it ..huh
    But I was mainly trying to find out if anybody has used the different versions and what they preferred. And most basket straps are designed for tow dollies and such with different mounting designs vs a "over the side of a deck" trailer.

5. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    southbaydad Thanks this.
  6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    @truckon can probably be of help here

Al. Roper and truckon Thank this.
  7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    @Terry270 has has a lot of experience strapping on a flat bed like trailer. He has the correct knowledge

Terry270, Al. Roper and MJ1657 Thank this.
  8. macavoy

macavoy Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Would those frame keys be of any use?

truckon Thanks this.
  9. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...ie-down-strap-with-r-j-t-frame-hooks-5063.php + https://www.autohaulersupply.com/ca...-handle-with-516-g70-chain-grab-tail-5104.php

Those are good for nearly everything except newer European cars that can only be strapped. Then lassos are your best bet. Basket straps are ok until you get a car with a narrow wheelbase and the tires are nowhere near your rub rail.

Edit: weird, the links work in the other thread but not here. Here's the other thread: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/posts/4939211/

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have 8 of the basket style straps. How ever the latch straps are on the ends with 2 ratchets on each one. They are rated 5400 lbs wll rating according to the tags. I got them in Larado while picking up some Sprinter Vans.

I've had them almost 2 years now and have used them on almost everything that has tires. Air compressors, F550 trucks, Military Hummers, various trailers, Golf carts, you name it. I've used them on the tiny golf cart wheels to the larger 19.5 inch wheel on the F550.

I'll get some pics of them tomorrow when I go to check on the progress of my trailer.

Hurst

southbaydad Thanks this.
  11. southbaydad

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    Ok Thanks Do you remember where in Laredo you bought these?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.