Stepdeck or flatbed auto hauling

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by southbaydad, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Depends on who/where. Keen loads their own equipment and usually where I take it is a dealer or rental center that unload it also. How ever,.. its my equipment and if I have doubts about the persons confidence or ability I will (Politely with out directly insulting) deny them to operate the equipment on my deck.

I have 15 yrs experience operating equipment doing everything from demolition to roadwork, building site pads, underground pipe work, earth work, utilities etc. I am also finish grade dozer and loader operator. So just like a trucker knows another trucker when he sees one. I can spot lack of experience on equipment in less than 1 min.

I dont want a tracked machine dancing left and right on my aluminum deck. Get it straight before if hits my deck/ramps or I will take over.

Often when picking up from places like Ritchie Bro auctions or picking up rentals from job sites,.. I am the only one who touches the machine. No one is going to load or unload it for me.

Hurst

DrDieselUSA and Terry270 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I agree. This is why ideally an e-track system or something that locks both the front and back of the wheel in place works best. Its bad enough that the vehicle is going to be bouncing up and down,.. last thing you want is for the tire to work its way out from under a wheel strap.

On that lasso picture,.. it only has 1 strap holding it to the deck where as the one I pictured has 2 straps holding the wheel to the deck. Essentially 8 points of contact per vehicle.

Hurst

southbaydad Thanks this.
  4. spax

spax Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    Thanks, I was just curious. I figured some guys that drive might not have a lot of experience running equipment.
    I had to load a 627 scraper on a low boy once for a driver. I figured he knew how to load it, so I parked it in front of his trailer and started to walk away. He was looking at me like.....where you going. It had to be backed on too, I think that made it more intimidating.
    I agree though, I wouldn't want tracks skidding back and forth on an aluminum deck.

5. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I'm not hurst------ But it varies - I have moved lots of equipment and some yards wont load the equipment onto or off the trailer and some -- load it on the trailer and offload it. Some places dont want the liablity of loading onto a trailer and some dont want the driver doing it in case they are not familiar with how to operate the equipment and accidently drive it off the side of the trailer or hit something - which in turn will damage their equipment etc.

Hurst Thanks this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Many drivers dont have or have very little experience with equipment. I hear this from places all the time.

For example when I deliver to a rental center, I go in to let them know I am there. I go out and get the machine ready to be unloaded. I dont have the patience to wait 20 - 30 mins for a guy to get off his smoke break to come unload me. I unload the machine myself if no one is there by the time I finish. Usually by then they get the message and come over. They tell me that most drivers wont touch the machine. Guess I am not most drivers.

I have some experience with RGN also. 513 and 521 scrapers are easy. I had done a 621 back in the late 80's,.. but we used a dolly and let the rear of the machine trailer on the ground. I recently went to go get a 621 back in Aug and had to ask here on TTR how to properly load it. I had my wife with me to help guide it. You can not see what the back wheels are doing at all.

Truck and trailer belong to my carrier. I ran it for 6 weeks last summer. True learning experience for me.
    [​IMG]

Hurst

7. southbaydad

southbaydad Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I agree with your logic

8. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Alot of stuff I have learned to ld. the hard way. Like yep there's your load, have fun.
    There are some units I will not load myself as I don't have the know how for them or they are a pain in the arse. Feller Bunchers nope not going to happen and Pans, I just never have liked them and I will either tell them ahead of time, shipper loads and unloads those units.. The fat man is not doing them...

Rontonio, 281ric and Hurst Thank this.
  9. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

Every place is different. Some have strict insurance regulations that wont allow drivers to touch the equipment,.. where other places have just a girl in the office who doesnt know the difference between a backhoe or bobcat. All she needs to know is if the serial # matches what is on her screen.

Hurst

passingthru69 Thanks this.
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    LOL
    I remember getting that Fellerbuncher last summer. I used your advise for the attachment. I saw what you meant about it being able to rotate and how it needed to be secured.

[​IMG]

When I got back there they told me to wait by the machine. I climbed up to look at the controls. Looked similar to an excavator,.. but that arm intimidated me. I left it alone.

Hurst

11. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    I load 99% of what I haul. Mainly it is because there is nobody around when I get there to pick up or drop off. I have run some equipment but not nearly the amount others have. Give me a little time and I can get it on the trailer and that is all I need to know. Now for me it is the newfangled stuff that gets me. First time I had to deliver a dozer I had no sticks to steer with and there was no dang throttle lever where I though it should be.

Then there are the graders. Loaded a 14m for the first time last month/year (LOL) and before that all I had ever moved was one with all the levers and a steering wheel.

Some of the stuff is self explanatory to operate but then like the 14m it took me 20 minutes to locate the switch to raise the ripper.

Sometimes customers will drive them on for me but even at the both the JD and CAT dealers do not load the equipment.

281ric and Hurst Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.