Stepdeck rates

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by mitmaks, Mar 9, 2017.

1. BBQDAVE

BBQDAVE Bobtail Member

Oct 29, 2007
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    I've run stepdeck with ramps for a lot of years and have made good money. Very good as a matter O fact. It took a while I'll admit.
    Once you find a good group of brokers and prove your worth to them stay with them. They'll depend on you and offer you freight that pays. Stay in your lanes and call ahead when you get loaded to let them know where you're going and when you'll be empty. Don't be shy about asking for deadhead fuel money on top of what's offered, if they want to send you 300 miles to pick up a load. (300 miles ÷ by 6mpg = 50 gals fuel times $3.25 +/- = $162.50) Like I said they get to know you and depend on you so they pay. May not be $162.50, but they will kick down a $100.00 in most cases. I also have my specialties. I haul oversize under 10 foot wide (no pilot cars), same with tall loads that stay under 14'.
    In other words use your stepdeck for what it was designed for specialty loads that won't go on a flatbed. If you haul flatbed loads expect flatbed rates. You have to put your time in to expect top pay. Remember there is a shortage of drivers and a big, big shortage of quality Hands out here any more, so charge what you're worth. You already give up way to much free labor loading or unloading.

47 years wheeltime and still counting.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    stwik, blade, Rounded_nut and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    I feel your pain. The eastbound rates aren’t going to get better with flat though. My next trailer purchase will be a 53’ flat. The stepdeck market is over saturated. Buying a low pro step didn’t give me the advantage I was looking for either. It will be interesting to see the side by side revenue comparisons between a 53 SDLP and a 53 flat.

4. mpd240

mpd240 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    I prefer the step just for the fact it's easier to climb up on. Been pulling flats mostly the last two weeks. One was an old spring ride. Hitch tried to kill me.

blade Thanks this.
  5. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Lets say you guys with flats and steps run Mon-FR with weekends home. How much is your gross, how much is fuel and permits? Just want to see how do you compare to vans for the last 6 months

6. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Wrong thread sorry.

7. blade

blade Heavy Load Member

Jan 30, 2009
    Some where, Mo
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.