Stevens and sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by bamalu, Apr 9, 2013.

1. bamalu

bamalu Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Alabaster, Alabama
    I was given a six month med card due to the Dr wanting me to get a sleep study done. Does Stevens have a program to help with getting the study and help with getting your CPAC machine? Or does all of this have to he taken care of before you attend training to get your CDL?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If Stevens decides you need a sleep study, they will provide the avenue for the study and will finance the cpap machine.
    It isn't cheap.
    There are alternate places to have the study done for much less money, accepted by Stevens and the machine is available thru other sources for a lot less money.
    Read back thru the Aviary postings and you'll see some postings regarding this.
    There are others on the board that have gone the alternate route and been very happy.

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  4. bamalu

bamalu Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Alabaster, Alabama
    Thanks sir , that is what I am in the process of doing. My biggest problem is that I have an individual health ins policy and it does not cover sleep apnea. So I might not have any other choice. I still have some time though to do some more research

5. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    In the interests of expedience, I did the study through Stevens and the total including the machine was around $2,500.

I was already there when they decided I needed the study. I chose this route as it did not interrupt the training process.

agreentrucker86 and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  6. nascarchuck

nascarchuck Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2008
    DFW, TX
    I just went through the sleep apnea scare. DOT doc sent me for a study. Sleep doc said that I have very mild apnea (avg 11 episodes) and as far as he was concered I didnt need a machine but the DOT doc would have the final say. Luckily he told me no machine but to lose 25 pounds and I should be ok.

As far as the sleep study the have "at home" tests now. They FedEx the machine to you and you sleep in your own bed. Dont know if Stevens will accept the at home test,but its available. Ive been told that they are about $300.

Something I never knew. The sleep doc said that everyone has sleep apnea. He said that the average person has 3 to 5 episodes an hour.

7. truckerdad57

truckerdad57 Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Batavia, IL
    RE Vital Signs.....

For any sleep apnea test vendor you are thinking of using ask them some basic questions like.

Where will I plug in my CPAP?
    If I decide to team should I use a different kind of CPAP?
    If I work in a slip seating operation what kind of CPAP should I use?

I called Vital Signs and asked these basic questions... hmmmmm.....
    Also... they'll come out to you with a portable sleep study.... only if you can tell them 48 hours in advance where you will be.

What OTR driver unless you're on a dedicated run knows 2 days ahead what freight they will be under? You might as well have it shipped to the house to be done when you get home.

There are sleep apnea treatment vendors that know what they are doing in trucking.
    It's a matter of finding them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.