Stevens CDL school in St. Louis??

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by bamamac, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bamamac

bamamac Medium Load Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Alabaster,Alabama
    How does the school compare to the one in Dallas? Is it pretty much the same system?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    All CDL schools cover the same basics. Those needed to get a license. You will only learn enough to get a license. Your skills for driving are learned with a trainer.
    That being said, some schools hire a better grade of instructor than others.
    Stevens (and schools tied to training companies) have instructors that not only have demonstrated adept skills as an OTR driver, maintain those skills and keep up with current regulations thru very proactive training and compliance departments.
    Generally speaking, the equipment is kept up better.
    I can't speak for the school in St Louis because I don't have first hand knowledge other than Stevens has provided some modern equipment (trucks/trailers) and has set certain criteria and standards to be met in order to be affiliated with the company.
    I have heard some really good things from both students that came thru there and from people here in the training department.
    Hope that answers your questions.

4. Chessguy

Chessguy Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Missouri
    The school in St. Louis is not a Stevens run school. It's called MTC. It has a bad reputation but they will give you the minimum training to get your CDL. Stevens does hire from that school.

5. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    and they provide some of the trucks for the students now and the price has dropped a lot i heard its 2900 now vs the almost 6 grand they were charging

6. sinker

sinker Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pevely Mo
    I just talked to MTC today and they said that it was 3500.00 unless you paid cash then it was 2995.00

7. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    lol there price has dropped in the one year since they told me 5995 but of course thats through there finance dept too. they offered it at 3000 if i paid it all at once as soon as i graduated too. if i had that cash i would not have chosen them. there are others around town

8. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    I spoke with a recruiter at Stevens and was quoted $2744.00 and they would finance it. Like the old Pizza Hut commercial. Get one at regular price, 4 bux 4 bux 4 bux

9. sinker

sinker Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pevely Mo
    stlvance, what are the other ones around town that you are referring to?

10. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Remember, a CDL school is to get a license. You will learn to drive from a trainer and or training company (such as Stevens).
    As long as the school guarantees (in writing) you will get a CDL, and is certified by one of the major agencies, it should be fine.
    No one cares where you got your license, they just care that you have a license.
    If you can get it for $3,000, why pay $5,000 or $6,000? Everyone (for the most part) ends up at the same place....a trainer's truck.

sinker Thanks this.
  11. sinker

sinker Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Pevely Mo
    Emulsified, Im just concerned that I wont get enough time behind the wheel. I have read where people don't get 10 hours behind a wheel the whole time they are there, at that school and other schools people have gotten hundreds of hours. Is there a avg for the amount of time? I have 1/4 million miles in a straight truck driving all over the country. Will that be a help or a hindrance to me ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.