Stevens Low Pay.... Poor Time At Home

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by larryh31, Sep 3, 2006.

1. jlhflex

jlhflex Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas,Tx
    I think I came off too strong.. I do hate stevens as a company. Stevens is NOT a 'trucking company" but a "trucking training" company.. That i agree with. As far as not being able to "hack" it, lol.. its not that hard of a job.. It does require greater skill to drive a semi than a four wheeler, but it takes a "special" person to beable to tolerate the everyday stress of trucker life. To me, that is not the problem.. had no problem with, actually I stayed out 5 months without taking time off until my mother passed away. Before that i tried to but my DM claimed to not beable to find loads to my area. Im patient, I waited 2 and 3 weeks and still claims of no loads. Truth is, you WILL NOT get home every 5 to 6 weeks, thats been proven, that is fact.
    I am not trying to bad mouth Stevens, that Stevens does all on its own. The turn-over rate speaks for its self.
    About making money with stevens.. I am aware that other trucking companies promise the same things stevens does and does not deliver. I am not that blind of the trucking industry today, it is not the same as years ago. Any old trucker will tell you that. Trust me I heard it many times on the road. As far as Stevens, if your looking to make "alot' of money.. your not.. As a company driver, you will make lower than a lease driver. that is given. The do look out for Alliance drivers more than company, that is given, they want that lease note. And yes i drove for Alliance also. I would NOT recommend anyone with under a year experience to go into the lease program. My complaints fall under what 3/4 of other driver complain of the same. I had a bad DM, who didnt pay attention to me or any drivers. I had a 7.1mpg, good for the old pete that I drove. Anyway I LOVED the road, that wasnt the problem, the problem came from not making enough money, that I felt was worth being out. Even after Alliance and good mpg, i still averaged around 500-600 bucks a week, a couple weeks I had negative checks. My biggest complaint, and I know other companies probably do the same, but the deductions are OUTRAGEOUS. I feel it is unfair business practice to take advantage of guys who are trying to make a living. To charge a driver for freakn thing that can possibly be taken out, that is wrong, flat out. Do I have to post my statements to show new driver what they will encounter???
    Anyway, I did get out of trucking and back into the communications and satellite industry. I did the math and weighed my options. The amount of money I made while i was trucking barely averages out to what a 10.00hr/ 40 hour a week job would pay. Do the math, regardless of how little or more you drive, you are working 24/7. The money today in this industry is not worth it and it WILL get worse. Thank our current president for putting his two sense in about the transportation industry. Thank Safety Advocates bc they are about to completely cut HOS. yes its a chain effect that will hurt everyone, but "they" dont care.... Welp thats all I have to say. Its not that its not for everyone. The low pay is the majority of why NEW GUYS are getting off the road.. Yes there are guys doing well, but the bad out ways the good..... There are fewer people jumping for enjoy because they drive for stevens than not. Oh,lol.. Yes it is a scam... A scam is when someone advertises through whatever means, whether it be recruiters or ads, using deceitful tactics. Tell me Stevens doesnt do that and I will gladdly trust you when you tell me I can drive down a mountain at 80mpg with no brakes and hit a big marsh-mellow at the end..

pagan22 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Corporal_Clegg

Corporal_Clegg Road Train Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Please do. That would be a huge help for us on the fence about what to do.

4. pagan22

pagan22 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    I started in early December 2010 for training and was finally able to finish it all up in March. Took forever to get through it because of the holidays and the sheer number of trainees they had to place with trainers.

While I like the company in general and I'm enjoying my first week solo in grad fleet, I'm disappointed with the support from home base while on the road.

I didn't take a break between the training phases and opted instead for the 7 days in a row off. Since I picked my first load up on the yard last week, I have been talking to my DM and dispatch about routing me home. Now that I'm about 300 miles from home, I'm stuck in BFE twiddling my thumbs. I'm burned out and tired and I'm to the point where I don't care anymore. Yet I still can't get home for R&R. They refuse to let me leave where I'm parked and are looking at a load I can pick up to take me into Michigan. They don't want to pay for the empty miles. I can't just quit because it would go on my DAC and I'd never get hired anywhere.

Training at Stevens is definitely the best and I needed that, but being out for close to 5 months without going home burns you out fast.

If you value your 5 days off every 2-3 months, then I'd stay away from Stevens. They are not capable as a company of getting you home when promised. Unless you happen to live in an area that is a major lane for Stevens.

I don't understand why they even hired me if they have such trouble getting me home (Michigan). As a result, I'm now looking for a new company that has no problem getting me home when I request a bit of time off.

5. Corporal_Clegg

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    pagan, i understand what your saying. i just went through it myself. but keep in mind you only left the yard last week and they did tell us that it may take a few loads to route us home for our hometime. hang in there and they will get you home. but stay on top of them. i had to and got my home time

pagan22 Thanks this.
  6. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    I happen to live in the middle of no where... where the deer and antelope play.. no stevens freight in the area... getting home is a problem, but I stay on them, and I do get home.
    The stevens kids put in this stupid rule about only being 50 miles from home, before you can go home... used to not be that way. Some of us don't live that close.

Stay after them to get you home, Michigan, detroit area, bring a load to one of the canada drivers...

pagan22 Thanks this.
  7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Pagan,
    TLea's right. We send a lot of freight to Canada via the bridge there in Detroit. I've run a lot of loads there. Many drivers don't or can't go to Canada, so repowering to take across is common. I've hauled as many as 4 loads in one day across the bridge.
    So you should be able to get home regularly, once your DM gets to know you a bit better. Just be sure to keep reminding them in advance ..."...remember, I'm suppose to be home May3..." Just keep them appraised of it everyday on the QC. They'll get you there.
    And by the way, your complaint is probably the number one of OTR drivers...no matter which company. Just nature of the beast.
    And yes...recruiters will promise you anything, but ...

8. Corporal_Clegg

Oct 9, 2010
    Raleigh,NC
    Hmmm, I was told its 100 miles.

Sitting at IBP in Ottawa, IL heading for a 2 dropper in PA. Heading out after my 10 in the morning

9. Nighthawk325

Nighthawk325 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah they told me 100 miles. I even volunteered to pay for any fuel but nope.

10. TLeaHeart

TLeaHeart Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2008
    casper, wy
    nice to know they doubled the distance... still would do me no good as a company driver... closest drop to my home, 180 miles. Closest pickup, 244...
    Getting home time is the hardest part of OTR...
    Since I am alliance, they have no problem with me going home, but it is me who insists on at least getting close... Denver really is not close.. but to people in Dallas, it is.

11. pagan22

pagan22 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Alabama
    And here I was told they'd get you home if you were 150 miles within range. LOL Finally made it home, but had to have a ride come get me after securing the truck in Detroit (3 hours from home). I had to remain a thorn in my DM's side until she got me home.

The reason I agreed to take Canadian loads is that I figured it'd be the best way to get home. Noticed 2 other Stevens tractors w/ trailers in the secured yard when I arrived last night.

However, I was also told that you'd have to take no more than 3 loads to get your home time. I realize it's an OTR thing, but I have friends who work for both Werner and Swift and are home when promised. So I'm on the fence on whether or not to leave Stevens before my year is up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.