Stevens newbie questions

Discussion in 'Anderson' started by ArcticFox, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    I am new to the industry and have several questions about Stevens. I would like the breakdown of the hiring process... recent graduate imput and just overall positive feedback about trucking in general. yes, I am aware of its what you put into it etc....I have been in the Cab business and heard a lot of BS stories in my time...So I invite you all new and old to comment and give your side of the story. I appreciate your time and good numbers to you all.:biggrin_25514:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
  4. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    again ty for the good advice....extremely frustrating wading through all the bs in general about trucking.

5. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Advice in general? OK, here goes:
    Obtain your CDL thru an independent school, rather than one run by a trucking company. It leaves you many more options as to where you can work and when. You are not an indentured servant to a company during a contract period.

No matter what a recruiter tells you, unless it's in writing, don't believe it.

If you choose to obtain your CDL thru a company school, be sure and read the contract in advance, understand it thoroughly. If you are not sure, pay a lawyer to read and explain it to you. Then if you move forward, live up to your agreement.

Make a list of items important to you in life that are affected by your career choice. Set them in order of priority. Then specifically compare those to each company you are considering.

If you are going OTR, home time is virtually the same for ALL of them. One day off for each week out and home at 5-6 week intervals.

Don't believe the promises of 'big bucks'! First year OTR drivers earn around the mid 30's. Some a bit more, some a bit less. More of that is made in the second six months.

After you have a short list of companies, go down to the local truck stop and start talking to the drivers for those companies. See what they tell you. You'll get far more honest answers that way than from a recruiter. Be sure and tell those drivers why you're asking.

Trucking is a brutal business, no matter what anyone tells you. Be prepared. But for many of us, we like it! (or hate it, depending on the day of the week)

If you have specific questions, just ask!

ArcticFox Thanks this.
  6. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    again sir you are very knowledgeable....my particular questions/reasons are as follows.
    1 Am I insane for liking the smell of diesel smoke? j/k
    2 I have been doing research through these blogs...love the idea of making a list.
    3 I am scared to death of failure...even though i am a veteran of two tours of Iraq
    4. the reason I am scared is that my future is riding on my completion of a course that seems too good to be true etc....
    5. I have read much about Stevens. I realize that your first couple of years suck indeed....I used to drive a cab and own six of them...have been stabbed and shot at...not too fun..i am guessing that truckers have had similar stuff happen...only if you are looking for it.
    I guess my point is that i am ready and going to talk to the rep within the next day or so.
    I do as mentioned before appreciate your incite.

7. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    again there is a independent school here where I live in Springdale AR....its 1700.00 not a problem if you have that cash on hand... my reasoning for not doing that now is money and other issues...I had a few misdemeanors in Pa where i am from over 10 years ago and they without getting to in depth involved a minor. not jail time etc..also have been recently released for non payment of support in April..will this disqualify me for signing up for and with any trucking company?

8. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    i guess what it comes down to is this....I have done a lot of careers in 16 years that i have been able to work.....I am just tired of surviving....that's it. really....any good incite would be greatly appreciated.

trucks, I love 'em....great way to spot them beavers"
    BO"Bandit"Darvel

9. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If you are on unemployement, check with your state. Many states will pay the full amount of your training at a private school.
    Since you are a vet, check with the VA. It often pays for the training.
    As far as the misdomeaners, be upfront with the recruiter. Have specifics, dates, etc for them.
    As for child support? I'm not sure. Most states can hold a professional license hostage if you're deemd a deadbeat. If you're working it out, you are probably OK. Check with your local DMV for accurate answers.

10. ArcticFox

ArcticFox Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Siloam Springs AR
    yeah..I did catch up the child support...thank God..and since I hold a Pa license still it is valid....I check it quite often.....I read that you must get a tx cdl while at school....I know in PA for sure that you can lose your license..whatever the class for non support after three months.....hence this is why I want to drive...well one of many reasons....
    again I have questions.....like radio shack...you have answers....lol

11. Emulsified

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    first couple years don't have to suck. The first 3 months in training is not fun, but it doesn't necessarily suck. I know a lot of guys that have had decent fun from the beginning. Attitude has a lot to do with that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.